remington 700 build.

bclark1

So ive been considering making a custom remington 700. Ill hopefully use this rifle to begin shooting long range as well as an occasional hunting rifle. I was thinking about 300 win mag or 300wsm. Im going to dublicate a 700 stock from black walnut, finish reaming the barrel and fit it to the action, glass & pillar bed with free float barrel, and do some trigger work. What else should I look into doing? This will be my first bolt action total build and im going to take it slow. Is the 300 win mag good for longer ranges? I do handload and have a fair understanding on the basics of long range shooting. I am still learning but most of all I need some experience and a whole lot of practice. I am hoping to top this rifle with a nice scope besed on the mil system. Ive been looking into the bushnell elite tactical scopes. Can anyone recomend any other good scopes.

They are very similar performance wise. I'd say consider the 300wby while you are thinking. Just a little more gas than either of the WM's. A lot of people think though you will get the best barrel life out of the WSM case so if you plan on shooting it a lot that is a consideration.

I'd say your biggest decision comes in deciding which of the premium barrel MFG's to go with so once you decide on caliber and make that decision you are well on your way.

For scopes depending on your budget I'd say the Vortex Viper PST Mrad, or the VXIII Leupold's. The 4-16x50 viper pst or 4.5-14x50 Leupold's will get you to 1000yds ok on deer and larger sized critters.

Thanks a lot for the help. I would like to have something with a little more fps like a 300 wbm or a 7mm rum but I can y seem to find rem 700 barrels for those calibers. Do you know where I might could find one.

I also need some help on picking a twist rate. If I went with 300 win mag id want to be able to take game and varmits out to a max of 1000 yds when my skills get there (if they ever do). What is a good bullet that will be accurate out to 1000 but still be able to take game from 100 yds to 1000?

If you are thinking of a 7mm I'd strongly suggest looking at the 7mm STW vs the Rum. You really pay for the additional case capacity of the Rum in recoil, blast and poor barrel live and get very little increase in performance in return.

The STW is really about the peak of the performance/price you pay for it in discomfort.

Visit the 7mm STW subforum here and you'll find we have probably more STW shooters here than you will ever find in one place.

Barrel wise, no problem, you can get whatever you want from any of the major bbl manufacturers.

Krieger, Brux, Bartlein, Benchmark, Schneider, Hart, etc will all build you a fine barrel to whatever specs you want.

The finest shooting rifle I have ever owned is an STW with a Schneider barrel on a winchester Model 70 pre 64 action. Montana's 1999 is one heck of a fine action as well. It's basically an improved Model 70 that's even beefier than the original.

I also need some help on picking a twist rate. If I went with 300 win mag id want to be able to take game and varmits out to a max of 1000 yds when my skills get there (if they ever do). What is a good bullet that will be accurate out to 1000 but still be able to take game from 100 yds to 1000?
There's no magic bullet that performs perfectly at both long and short ranges.

The best all around bullet I could recommend is the 200gr Accubond with the Hornady Interlock close behind.

The Accubond LR in 210gr should shoot and perform very well but they are new and there's little data out on the LR version.

Broz has good luck at long and very long range with Bergers but he puts a tremendous amount of time and work into really tweaking them to get them right. They are very temperamental about seating depth and are so long magazine length can be a problem in a lot of rifles unless they are built specifically with VLD's in mind.

Thanks a lot for the help. I would like to have something with a little more fps like a 300 wbm or a 7mm rum but I can y seem to find rem 700 barrels for those calibers. Do you know where I might could find one.

If you have the equipment to do this "total build" why are you looking at prechambered barrels? Either will be a great choice. I prefer non-belted myself.

Chuck

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.