Rem 700 30-06 LRH Modifications?

XxStarXx

Hi guys,

I have been lurking on the forms for sometime now and found a wealth of information, you guys really know your stuff so I though I would ask this question and get some opinions from people that know far better than I do.

So, I have a Rem 700 chambered in 30-06 SS barrel, synthetic stock and a 3x9x40mm VX-1 sitting on it which I all bought brand new about 5 years ago. I have put roughly about 200 rounds through it at the range since I got it I haven't shot it much over 300yds as that's the longest target at my range. Its sighted in at 100yds and seems to shoot really good groups about 1/2" - 1" @ 100yds but my 300yds groups aren't as good mostly due to me and my scope not having target turrets on it and trying to use the BDC recital. I haven't shot it much in the last 4 years as I picked up a .243 win. that I have been packing for deer. I usually bring it along as a back up and Friday I dropped a really nice 3x3 with it at 100-150yds and lets just say it felt good a lot better feeling than my .243 then I was reading the post "why a 30-06 is better than your ex gf" and it got me thinking about putting in some work to this gun.

I have been looking at different custom built rifles but lets face it some of the prices are just ridiculous and I really don't really need all that being an average hunter that probably would never need to make a shot more than 500yds in the field let alone 1000yds but hey its nice to have that capability if the need ever arises :D

So this is where you guys come in :)

I think i'm starting with a decent platform to work from as practically everyone uses or has used a 700 30-06 at one time or another including the military. I don't hand load so that's a bit of an issue but there seems to be a lot of nice high quality ammo available off the shelf for 30-06 but I really don't know if i'm on the right track or not.
I'm thinking with a bit of work like a bed job, trigger, brake and maybe some new optics I could reasonably push this gun out to say 800yds fairly reliably?

What would you do? Is it worth the time and effort to even attempt? is it possible?
There is so many questions I have about this that I just don't or can't find the answers for.

What would be your guys opinion on the matter and any tips or trick and where my money would be best spent building up this rifle or starting with something else to hunt 6,7,800yds maybe more if need without costing an arm and a leg lol

Any info will be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Hi guys,

I have been lurking on the forms for sometime now and found a wealth of information, you guys really know your stuff so I though I would ask this question and get some opinions from people that know far better than I do.

So, I have a Rem 700 chambered in 30-06 SS barrel, synthetic stock and a 3x9x40mm VX-1 sitting on it which I all bought brand new about 5 years ago. I have put roughly about 200 rounds through it at the range since I got it I haven't shot it much over 300yds as that's the longest target at my range. Its sighted in at 100yds and seems to shoot really good groups about 1/2" - 1" @ 100yds but my 300yds groups aren't as good mostly due to me and my scope not having target turrets on it and trying to use the BDC recital. I haven't shot it much in the last 4 years as I picked up a .243 win. that I have been packing for deer. I usually bring it along as a back up and Friday I dropped a really nice 3x3 with it at 100-150yds and lets just say it felt good a lot better feeling than my .243 then I was reading the post "why a 30-06 is better than your ex gf" and it got me thinking about putting in some work to this gun.

I have been looking at different custom built rifles but lets face it some of the prices are just ridiculous and I really don't really need all that being an average hunter that probably would never need to make a shot more than 500yds in the field let alone 1000yds but hey its nice to have that capability if the need ever arises :D

So this is where you guys come in :)

I think i'm starting with a decent platform to work from as practically everyone uses or has used a 700 30-06 at one time or another including the military. I don't hand load so that's a bit of an issue but there seems to be a lot of nice high quality ammo available off the shelf for 30-06 but I really don't know if i'm on the right track or not.
I'm thinking with a bit of work like a bed job, trigger, brake and maybe some new optics I could reasonably push this gun out to say 800yds fairly reliably?

What would you do? Is it worth the time and effort to even attempt? is it possible?
There is so many questions I have about this that I just don't or can't find the answers for.

What would be your guys opinion on the matter and any tips or trick and where my money would be best spent building up this rifle or starting with something else to hunt 6,7,800yds maybe more if need without costing an arm and a leg lol

Any info will be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

Prepare yourself as this could get very subjective, esp. from the loyal brand crowd. :rolleyes:

IIWY, I'd consider reloading, you'll be surprise of the end results.

If you are getting half inch groups. Then I would work on buying reloading equipment and work on a consistent load. Then I would purchase the best scope you can afford. I have factory rifle in 30-06 and it's a half inch gun, and use it to shoot 1000 yards and do so easily. If you go with a 185gr and up bullet then you will be fine. Personally I use a 208 Amax for 1000 yards.

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

Prepare yourself as this could get very subjective, esp. from the loyal brand crowd. :rolleyes:

IIWY, I'd consider reloading, you'll be surprise of the end results.

I shall be the first FEENIX! :D

1. Remington 700 in .30-06 Excellent choice from a brand loyal Remington fan

2. Stock: Bell and Carlson Alaskan, Mountain, or Sporter Stock with full length aluminum rail, bed the action up to about an inch past the recoil lug.

3. Timney or Jewel trigger

4. I recently purchased vortex HST's for my rifles. Pretty pleased with them thus far. Relatively cheap and reliable.

Dude...you need to give that 30/06 away or stuff it into the back of your deep and darkest closet because if you're gonna come on this forum......you ain't nobody unless you're shooting a cartridge with a case the size of my thermos jug!! Why...that dang cartridge is 109 years old....way outdated! Absolutely.....no good at all!!

TONGUE IN CHEEK!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Lol..... Something has to be said for anything that can stand the test of time... 109 years and never changed I guess the saying is true " if it ain't broke, don't fix it" lol

Besides, a big .338 Lapua isn't exactly practical for my applications lol

Lol..... Something has to be said for anything that can stand the test of time... 109 years and never changed I guess the saying is true " if it ain't broke, don't fix it" lol

But you CAN "improve" it... :D

My .30-06 Ackley Improved 40-Degree is smoking Berger 185's with a 26" barrel. It's right on the heels of a .300WM.

In the grand scheme, there are very FEW things a .338 Lapua could be considered "practical" for...But in the long range world, practicality is not a priority.

the 30-06 is an excellent long range round. cheapest way is to buy a rem 700 Long range. or adjust the trigger on yours, add a heavy krieger barrel and a stock. looking for a good load with factory ammo out of a factory barrel expensive. i would need at least a 4.5 -14 scope for long range shooting.

I read somewhere the only way to improve a 30-06 is to clean it once in a while.

I wouldn't Ackley improve a 30-06. The only thing you gain is more expensive reloading dies, less stretch and a few clicks in drop. Ackley improving a 30-06 gains very little.

Sorry my IPhone quoted your reply when I clicked on reply. It did it twice.

.30-06 Ackley Improved @ www.reloadersnest.com

"Actual chronograph tests have proven it to be definitely superior to the standard 30-06 cartridge with slow burning powders, but not with medium to fast burning powders. The 30-06 Ackley Improved is one of the most popular and widely used of the Improved breed. With the proper powder, it will add a little over 100 fps muzzle velocity to any bullet weight, as opposed to the standard factory loaded cartridge."

Yes, dies are pretty expensive, that is one big draw-back. That being said, in my opinion (and everyone has one) the extra work of fire-forming and higher-priced dies are worth the added case life and increased velocity.

To someone else, it might not be worth the effort. That is all a matter of personal opinion.

All of that for a 75 fps gain. Why not just get a Win mag and let it coast for a 200 fps gain.
You could go that route, and that is a good option.

One of the major things I have discovered, is that the .30-06 AI pushing equal-weight bullets at such high velocities, has significantly lower recoil and muzzle blast than the magnum, and is much nicer to shoot.

The 30-06 AI is one of the least gained in the whole AI line up. All of the improvements can be achieved with a 2 inch longer barrel. Many of the Competition shooters realize this and stick with the standard.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.