Rem 700 30-06 LRH Modifications?

It's all in personal preference. Most reloading data shows an average of around 3,000 fps with a 180-185gr bullet with the .30-06 AI. That's a good bit more than the standard '06 which averages around 2,875 for the same weight bullets, both using slow burning powders.

But like I said, it all comes down to personal preference. Some folks (like me) like wildcat calibers. But if you prefer to stick with standardized calibers, and don't want to fire-form brass and buy special dies, that's your preference, as well.

Some one on accurate shooter did a test with a 22 in barreled 30-06 and then reamed it to 30-06 AI and a average of 66 fps increase was recorded.

Not to discredit his tests, since I have not seen them...But a 22" barrel is pretty short for testing purposes, even for a regular .30-06 Sprg. Especially the AI version that holds about 5 grains more capacity. I have no doubt that with a barrel that short, his results were negligible, since he wasn't getting anywhere near a complete burn with either cartridge.

I had a guy run QL on my rife and load setup, It showed a 93% burn with a 26" barrel and 62 grains of 7828 SSC. So, even with a 26" barrel, it's not quite a 100% burn for my AI.

I will say this... Unless you have a 26" or longer barrel, I don't feel that there is enough advantage to the AI to make it worth the extra effort.

If it were me I would start with a new scope. Get good quality optics and start shooting. You will evolve from there. You will probably not need to go much farther than reloading.

Steve

I have two NF scopes and they're the most consistent return to zero optics that I've ever laid down behind...and that's been quite a few over the years!!gun)

If you decide to go scope upgrade first and like FFP scopes, I would encourage you to look at the SWFA SS 3-9x42 and the Bushnell 3-12x42 LRHS. I am really impressed with both and they are a great price point compared to many others out there.

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the replys this has been some really great info.

As suggested I think I'm going to go with the Bell and Carson Alaskan II stock with the full aluminum bedding block and a good bed job to start with then optics is a must I think but where to start with the optics? I would love to have a NF but that's way to much to ask for my wife would never let me spend that much for a rifle scope lol she is from Scotland where they don't own guns and can't understand why I need all this lol her response was " its a gun right?...it shoots bullets right?.... Well then you don't need anything else..." Lol so needless to say the NF isn't going to happen for awhile. I do have a pretty much brand new VX-1 in a 3x9x40mm already but the down fall is that it's coin style adjustments but there is good news I spoke to Leupold and they are able to convert that scope to M1 or CDS turrets for under $150 with a 4 week turnaround but I don't know if that option is worth the time and money to mess with? Or any suggestions in optics for $800 or less? Mostly going to be used for hunting so I don't exactly need perfect glass but do want and need it to have reliable and repeatable target tracking as #1

Also I have been looking into reloading equipment as well but man there is soooooo much diffent stuff out there like single stage, progressive, this brand that brand ect. I'm not sure where to start any ideas?
The thought of reloading does scare me at bit as I have never reloaded anything but shotgun shells and that doesn't really count as reloading imo. I do have a friend that does reloading but I'm kinda Leary letting him teach me or reloading for me as he one of those friends that we all have that is a bit questionable at times when doing things lol so that's that with reloading.

Also one last thing if you can give me some advise on is the B&C stock I was looking at doesn't appear to be free floating but looks like it can be made to be free floating with a bit of in letting in a couple spots... How critical is free floating? I was under the impression that free floating was a lot more accurate?

Thanks again :)

I would just shoot the stock as it comes. If you aren't getting the groups you want you can free float it. They are easy to do.

ive got a vx1 3x9x40 with m1 turrets installed. Leupold took 2 1/2 weeks turnaround to get the scope done for me.

It shoots really well with my 30-06. I havent done a tracking test on paper to see if the turrets are repeating like they should, however, i have shot it out to 825 and it returns to zero without issues.

I would simply drop in a new stock and send the scope in for turrets. Lots of people will tell you thats not the way to go, but in a situation like yours where money is tight and practicality is all you really need, that would be the way to go in my opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.