Rem 300P vs custom stiller bulid in 300 Win Mag

kswgb

I decided to get a 300 Win Mag. I have a Rem 700P in 308 and I think it shoots OK - 2.5" at 300 yards in a no wind condition. Does the 300 win mag shoot about the same? I also am looking at getting a custom gun built on a Stiller 700 clone, Krieger barrel AICS stock... as you can guess it will cost $$$ and it will take about 3 months to build by a world class smith in my neck of the woods. vs a bit over $900 and a week's wait for the stock Remington. Therefore in my mind I am trying to figure out what is the average accuracy of a Rem 700P in 300 win mag and what should I expect from a custom job accuracy wise. I am looking at using this beyond 600 since I am fairly comfortable with a 308 out to that distance. I would shoot 220 SMK or 210 SM.

Basically is it worth paying about $1500 or more for a custom job to gain that extra xx moa?

If you have the money and it won't take food from you mouth I would go with the custom rifle. I have a Rem 300wm that shoots very well, but you never know what you will get. In the long run you will be happier and not have to spend any extra money on the factory rifle.

Do you want a factory rifle or a custom? Thats the question.

I have to believe that a custom action, and premium barrel, coupled with a competant smith that pushes his tools straight, will out shoot a factory gun all day long. I have 2 guns built on stiller actions, one in the works. They feel more solid, cycle smoother, and hold thier value better than a blueprinted 700. Build one, its only money. Thats my philosophy anyway.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.