Reloading - Is it still really worth it?

This is why I reload.
D9958DF4-429A-41DD-8E79-51CDFC5338B2.jpeg

That's the point for me too. Amazing what small changes in seating depth or powder charge can do.
It also saves me a fair bit of money because I load pricier cartridges (300win, 338 edge, 45 raptor, 44 mag, etc).
The thing not discussed much is the control aspect. I can very often use the bullet I want because of the variables that I control. Not being stuck using the factory ammo that shot best, with a less desirable bullet, is priceless. AND there isn't any panick of finding ammo because we've learned to buy bulk and keep good inventory. Practice leaving the gun store with a box of bullets or pound of powder with some regularity.
I'm on the other end of the spectrum as the OP. Now is the best time to be a reloader vs paying super high prices for factory unobtainable ammo. Admittedly I wouldn't start reloading at this moment in time, but I wouldn't be buying tons of ammo at these prices either. Have a little patience (where possible) and buy when things cool a bit.

It is interesting to see the experiences and views of a fairly large number of members. I started reloading for the very reason many people started. Cost was not really a primary factor. I definitely believe it is worth it. It has been a little frustrating with the way components have been scarce in recent times. I do believe that joining this forum was one of the best things I've done recently. It keeps me grounded and informed on many of the aspects of reloading and the general LRH shooting passion. The only possible downside is my "want list" has expanded considerably. Self control is something I have struggled with when I see something that I want to try.
Happy Holidays to all.

How much $$ do you figure for barrel wear per shot on the 28nos?

Not to be an *** cuz I'd love to have a big barrel burner myself but most folks forget about that one. Talking to some guys at my local Precision Rifle shop and they were talking about shooting ELR with .375 (cal)- up to 408chy. Said they were getting 1200 +/- depending on what caliber they were shooting. Fun part is the rebarrel is $1200-$2000 depending on the pipe chosen. That's $1.00 or more per shot of barrel wear.
Barrel are barrels, there will wear out no matter what, If I shoot reloads or factory.

It is interesting to see the experiences and views of a fairly large number of members. I started reloading for the very reason many people started. Cost was not really a primary factor. I definitely believe it is worth it. It has been a little frustrating with the way components have been scarce in recent times. I do believe that joining this forum was one of the best things I've done recently. It keeps me grounded and informed on many of the aspects of reloading and the general LRH shooting passion. The only possible downside is my "want list" has expanded considerably. Self control is something I have struggled with when I see something that I want to try.
Happy Holidays to all.
Very well said!
I learn something every day in this forum, but still so much more I hope to learn!
Hanukkah is over, so I will say Merry Christmas!

For me it was never about cost. It's about tuning a round for a rifle.

It is amazing and frustrating how you can get a rifle to shoot better, but oh so satisfying once you dial it in. Once you take out all the sink cost of toys for the hobby you can still produce higher quality ammo for less money.

But I got into reloading to optimizie each rifle I shoot! Thas it priceless!!!!!!!
Nothing else needs to be said here. This is the answer. I make better rounds for my rifles than anyone else can.

But I will say more because I'm at the tire shop looking at the wrecked bedside I got from a blowout and I don't have anything better to do.

I see guys roll up to $20k per tag high-fence hunts with $90K trucks and $80K toy haulers with $35k decked out Mules wearing $5k of Gucci-flage, and then they pull out a box of factory ammo for their $3k rifle with $4k scope. If you're in this for $250,000+ already, come on man at least do a load development pack from one of the many reputable reloading shops. Amazingly though, many of them do load - because the kind of guy that sink a quarter-mil into killing one animal is pretty obviously into this for something other than pinching pennies.

It's not like my cost loading is any worse than anything else I do with shooting or hunting. The maybe ten thousand bucks invested isn't really big comparatively speaking, especially when you look at shooting vis-a-vis my other choices - 16 year old truck (worth $1,500 more as of an hour ago 🤬 stupid tires), I hunt in old blue jeans and a sweatshirt most times, I sleep wherever is cheapest to crash, I walk around on my own two legs, and throw dead animals up into the back of the truck. But I have a powder and bullet inventory better than most stores do currently, rifles I enjoy shooting, a rack of suppressors and good scopes, and some serious barrel upgrades in the pipeline.

Life is about choices - make the best ones for yourself and **** on anyone else who tells you different.

Last edited:
Just my scrambled thoughts, It may not be the money saver that it used to be. I think depending on what your reloading you could probably shave a few cents off/round. but consider that a lot of shelf ammunition is scarce right now and has to be ordered online. So the price/bullet goes up after applying the tax and shipping. Regardless of the expense though, I still think it's worth it. Your getting a round custom tailored to your rifle and your needs. I think getting set up at any time, shortage or no, is a good idea. Your also investing in the ability to produce when the shelves run out, but I do agree the current prices and scarcity of reloading supplies sucks. That said, it's still manageable.

As others have stated, the OP's costs appear high. I'm running well under his cost, and surely less then factory ammo. Given the recent scarcity of factory ammo, my accumulated inventory will keep me shooting for quite a long time. All this is very clearly trumped by the quality, constantly, and ability for my tailored reloads to feed my long range precision rifles used for both hunting and competition.

Yes it's worth it. Compare apples to apples when looking at standard off the shelf Ammo vs a very high quality box of ammo vs a meticulous job of reloading. There's no comparison is accuracy and consistency. The question YOU need to ask, is it worth it to you? To me it's definitely worth it and I didn't start reloading to save money, was it a consideration, yes, but not my deciding factor.

First of all I am not trying induce depression or deter people from starting to jump into the world of hand loading. I just am trying or shed some light on the real costs of this wonderful hobby I finally picked up a couple of years ago. For the competition shooter or the individual looking for consistent top notch accuracy out of their rifle, it will always make sense regardless of the costs. However, with the current cost of components, it is shocking to add up the cost of a hand loaded cartridge.
I just ran a quick component estimate for a round of 7RM using the cost of recent component purchases. I am approaching $3.00 per round in raw materials without factoring in the equipment/tool expense or time commitment. I realize that the cost of premium factory ammo is often times more expensive, but the wow factor of current reloading cost has me looking at the amount of times I visit the range and how many rounds of what rifle I will be firing.
In the end it reinforces the buy cheap and stack deep approach to reloading. Panic buying due to the FOMO syndrome is not a smart move.
I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season.
Yes it's worth it I'm yet to find a factory ammo that shoots out of my rifle accurately. I'd pay $5/rnd to have accuracy. 100% custom is priceless.

For max precision it is worth it. Otherwise the time invested probably makes it a negative gain. Just depends on what your priority is.

I bet you're happy you don't live in Australia.
A box of ammo here runs $115-$150 per 20 rounds for the 300RUM, $115 or so for the 300WM and it just goes up from there.
Brass costs are $75-$125 per 50 just on Remington alone. Norma brass is $200 per 50. Lapua runs $365 per 100.
Bullets are $110 per 50 on average, have paid more and less.
I do not add up my costs on reloading, I just know it is cheaper than $115 per 20.

Cheers.
Are the huge costs you are paying due to the prohibitive taxes placed on ammo or the actual retail costs of the ammo?

Recent Posts