Reloading - Is it still really worth it?

Mark37082

First of all I am not trying induce depression or deter people from starting to jump into the world of hand loading. I just am trying or shed some light on the real costs of this wonderful hobby I finally picked up a couple of years ago. For the competition shooter or the individual looking for consistent top notch accuracy out of their rifle, it will always make sense regardless of the costs. However, with the current cost of components, it is shocking to add up the cost of a hand loaded cartridge.
I just ran a quick component estimate for a round of 7RM using the cost of recent component purchases. I am approaching $3.00 per round in raw materials without factoring in the equipment/tool expense or time commitment. I realize that the cost of premium factory ammo is often times more expensive, but the wow factor of current reloading cost has me looking at the amount of times I visit the range and how many rounds of what rifle I will be firing.
In the end it reinforces the buy cheap and stack deep approach to reloading. Panic buying due to the FOMO syndrome is not a smart move.
I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season.

No. I realize I will probably get 5 or more firings on the brass. I just did not factor that into the equation when running the quick cost estimate. Good point but given the 65 grains of powder, hazmat fees, shipping costs, premium bullets, primer costs when panic buying, I am still running way to expensive on per round cost. I would love to buy local, but components are near nonexistent in my area. I definitely can do a better job on my part by stopping some of my FOMO practices.

I bet you're happy you don't live in Australia.
A box of ammo here runs $115-$150 per 20 rounds for the 300RUM, $115 or so for the 300WM and it just goes up from there.
Brass costs are $75-$125 per 50 just on Remington alone. Norma brass is $200 per 50. Lapua runs $365 per 100.
Bullets are $110 per 50 on average, have paid more and less.
I do not add up my costs on reloading, I just know it is cheaper than $115 per 20.

Cheers.

It all depends on what you shoot, how much you shoot and what your objective is.
When comparing cost, make sure your "store bought" ammo is the premium cost.
For anything 30 caliber or smaller, my cost is less than $2.00 a round. Equipment was paid off from savings more than a decade ago. Try and buy premium ammo now for $2.00.
Finally, in crazy times, most people could not find ANY ammo. I could load for all the classic calibers from 223 to 375 H&H
So, again, it dpends....
But I got into reloading to optimizie each rifle I shoot! Thas it priceless!!!!!!!

Last edited:
If nothing else it allows you to do some shooting with the shortage of ammo available. When component shortages set it, I fired up my ProMelt and cast up a bunch of 357 and 308 bullets and dug out Unique and H4895. My cost is powder and primers, haven't calculated that but it's not much.

I bet you're happy you don't live in Australia.
A box of ammo here runs $115-$150 per 20 rounds for the 300RUM, $115 or so for the 300WM and it just goes up from there.
Brass costs are $75-$125 per 50 just on Remington alone. Norma brass is $200 per 50. Lapua runs $365 per 100.
Bullets are $110 per 50 on average, have paid more and less.
I do not add up my costs on reloading, I just know it is cheaper than $115 per 20.

Cheers.
Thats out of sight buddy.
America would love to have you