Reloading - Is it still really worth it?

It does seem to be getting better in recent weeks with component supplies. In my case I just need to go about this in a smarter way. Bought a new rifle with limited appropriate components on hand. Paid through the nose for a brick of primers due to being down to a hand full of LRM. Keep buying different bullets to determine what the rifle likes the best. Trying multiple powders in one lb. increments when I can find them. It is not wise to buy one lb. at a time when shipping and hazmat comes close to the cost of the powder. Oh well, at least I am the stage of recognizing my issues…. It is sad that this new rifle likes Nosler AB's the most. I only have ten left.

What caliber and weight Accubonds are you looking for?

It does seem to be getting better in recent weeks with component supplies. In my case I just need to go about this in a smarter way. Bought a new rifle with limited appropriate components on hand. Paid through the nose for a brick of primers due to being down to a hand full of LRM. Keep buying different bullets to determine what the rifle likes the best. Trying multiple powders in one lb. increments when I can find them. It is not wise to buy one lb. at a time when shipping and hazmat comes close to the cost of the powder. Oh well, at least I am the stage of recognizing my issues…. It is sad that this new rifle likes Nosler AB's the most. I only have ten left.
This is what I do when supplies are limited. I know I will get a load of backlash and criticism, but it has worked for me.
I talk to my friends that have simillar rifles and see what load works for them. I confirm with manuals that it is below max. (I do have rifles and friends that shoot above max...NEVER a starting point!)
These days I might even do a few "simulations" with QuickLOad or Gordon's Reloading Tool! I triple check my data before I go to next step.
I load a few rounds and test. This has been very successful in me 30.06, 300WBY, 300WM, 338LM.
I know the "purist" will have many comments, I welcome them!

Definitely worth considering. I've tried several different ways in developing a load. My current experiment is using the 10 shot ladder to find a flat spot node for powders loads. Being that I am retired now, I have plenty of time to kill in the reloading room.

I guess it never crossed my mind as a guy who never thought it worth it in the past.
But started to reload when I wanted a very specific bullet loaded and couldn't get it. So reloading was never about cost for me. Then I got the long range bug and it became a needed expense so I rolled with it. Considering most people drink more money in alcohol each year or waste more money in gas just driving around its not really that bad. Plus the cost of knowing you accomplished something that made the hunt that much better is really worth it.

Definitely worth considering. I've tried several different ways in developing a load. My current experiment is using the 10 shot ladder to find a flat spot node for powders loads. Being that I am retired now, I have plenty of time to kill in the reloading room.
The 10 shot ladder is a proven method. If I do that, I do a combined velocity, POI ladder. (you look for MV flat spot, and vertical POI, but at 300 yards or longer. Many ways and variations...

First of all I am not trying induce depression or deter people from starting to jump into the world of hand loading. I just am trying or shed some light on the real costs of this wonderful hobby I finally picked up a couple of years ago. For the competition shooter or the individual looking for consistent top notch accuracy out of their rifle, it will always make sense regardless of the costs. However, with the current cost of components, it is shocking to add up the cost of a hand loaded cartridge.
I just ran a quick component estimate for a round of 7RM using the cost of recent component purchases. I am approaching $3.00 per round in raw materials without factoring in the equipment/tool expense or time commitment. I realize that the cost of premium factory ammo is often times more expensive, but the wow factor of current reloading cost has me looking at the amount of times I visit the range and how many rounds of what rifle I will be firing.
In the end it reinforces the buy cheap and stack deep approach to reloading. Panic buying due to the FOMO syndrome is not a smart move.
I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season.
Worth it? YEP!

I reload for precision, as I am totally addicted to LR hunting and shooting. As good as some of the custom/premium loaded ammo is (also very expensive), there is a slim chance it will shoot as well as my handloads. Especially out to a mile. My .02
Also. Where can I buy 338 Edge, 257 STW, 22-6mm AI loaded ammo? lol

Recent Posts