necking 30-06 down to 25-06... is it worth it?

joshua99ta

guys I have a couple rounds of 30-06 brass and I was wondering if you guys think it would be worth it to try to neck it down to fit the 25-06? I mean brass isnt very expensive for a 25-06 so I was thinking it wouldnt be worth the aggrevation and time spent to try to resize em as I got into reloading for accurary not for cost.

what you guys think?

I've done it plenty of times. If you have some laying around just lube em and put them through the 25-06 f/l die. Most of the guys I shoot with dont reload, so they give me all there brass. I do some reloading for them and I resize the brass into other cals all the time. Ie: 308 into 243,7-08 6.5 CM 260 -- 30-06 into 270 25-06 338-06 and so on. It does save some money in the long run.

I'll give it a shot. I havent purchased any 25-06 dies yet, being I've been @ work for 2 weeks and just havent ordered any yet... I'm gunna put in an order w/ midway tomorrow and get some RCBS match dies on the way(I like the seater dies much better).

I was thinking that i'de probably need to step it down in steps instead of throwing em right in the 26-06 dies.

You can do it in a couple of steps if you want. I just ran them through the f/l and haven't had any problems with them. If you do them in 1 step just go slow, and you'll be fine.

I've done in plenty in the past. Usually run them through my .270 Win neck sizer die first then into the .25-06 full size die. If memory serves, they always need to be trimmed after that. Most of what I shoot through my .25-06 is headstamped .30-06.

When I built my 25-06 back in the 70's there was no factory brass. I resized a lot of 30-06 in just one step all the time. Then you have to trim them.
Tarey

I do it all the time. I have zeroed in on the "Greek" brass with the HXB headstamp with great results. A couple of pointers - anneal the top part of the brass prior to reforming, it helps increase yeilds during the resizing process and when you fire-form them the ripple from the neck/shoulder junction on the 30-06 shoulder will push out nicely.

Here's something I did when reforming from 270 to 25-06.

http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=43210&highlight=flashhole

I've done it plenty of times. If you have some laying around just lube em and put them through the 25-06 f/l die. Most of the guys I shoot with dont reload, so they give me all there brass. I do some reloading for them and I resize the brass into other cals all the time. Ie: 308 into 243,7-08 6.5 CM 260 -- 30-06 into 270 25-06 338-06 and so on. It does save some money in the long run.

So you have resized 30-06 into 270. How did that work out after resizing, was it longer in the neck or did it just narrow the neck, also did you have to turn the neck afterwards or was it ready to go to be reloaded.

I have resized/reformed both 270 and 30-06 into 25-06. I've never resized anything to 270. Both need to be trimmed to length. I don't have to turn the necks to use the brass in my gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.