Reloading bench finish?

Brazilian Ash countertop with three coats of Minwax Spar Polyurethane applied. I have spilled everything imaginable except lacquer thinner on it and never blistered the finish. The second picture is what my reloading room looks like now. It sure filled up fast.

Attachments

• 100_0207.jpg
    100_0207.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 84
Pretty impressive hat rack.

That buck has one really long brow tine, if the other one was the same length it would be better. There is is some junk sticking out in the back the caps have covered, I call them stickers. Barely long enough to be a measured. Pretty much a basic South Texas low fence deer but I liked it enough to have it mounted. Mostly video and photograph deer anymore, pigs are a different subject. Never got a shot at this one.

Attachments

• PICT0035.JPG
    PICT0035.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 59
On my woodworking bench I use equal parts of polyurethane, linseed oil, and paint thinner. I like this finish I can wipe it on any time if needed. My wood glue doesn't stick hard to it so I can pop the dried glue off pretty easily. When I finally get around to building my dream loading bench I will likely use this finish on it as well.

On my woodworking bench I use equal parts of polyurethane, linseed oil, and paint thinner. I like this finish I can wipe it on any time if needed. My wood glue doesn't stick hard to it so I can pop the dried glue off pretty easily. When I finally get around to building my dream loading bench I will likely use this finish on it as well.

Kansas what type of poly are you using with the mix? Can you substitute Tung oil. I was thinking about water based poly on a bench I am making but linseed and tung oil clean up nice.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

I don't use water based poly I normally use gloss minwax. I been happy with this finish I can touch it up if needed now keep in mind this is a dull finish not much shine its great for working surfaces

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 39
My reloading equipment is mounted to a uninteresting welded steel bench with formica top. The OP was interested in wood bench finishes unless I misunderstood his post. That's my woodworking bench finish its a good finish for hardwood workbenches used for whatever purpose imo. There are countless other finishes that I'm sure are capable of doing the job just thought I share one I like. If the bench was built from softwoods I would probably not use that finish at least for the work surface.

Where is the reloading equipment?
Well, I looked through my pictures and can't find one that show where my press and powder throw is. It's all the way to the right and I had my trimmer mounted there also. Like I said it got so cluttered up so fast I have to do a bit of house cleaning when I load and finally I built a 3' x 3' table to mount the trimmer on to clear up some space. And guess what? The table is home to my range bag and camera bags and it seems to catch everything that comes in the door! I have another table outside in my shop that has a Lee press mounted on it to de-prime brass when I am processing in large batches. I didn't make this room large enough for sure.

See what I mean by the table catching everything? All this reloading got started when I got a 6.5 Swede and it blossomed from there. I could use some organizing skills.:D

Attachments

• 100_0969.jpg
    100_0969.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 100_0971.jpg
    100_0971.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 100_0970.jpg
    100_0970.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 60
See what I mean by the table catching everything? All this reloading got started when I got a 6.5 Swede and it blossomed from there. I could use some organizing skills.:D

Your skills are about normal took me 20 min cleaning off the top of the workbench just to take the photo.

Someone posted their benchtop was 5" thick... I cant swallow that at all. 1/2" thick....yes...sure but not 5" thick. You cant even begin to lift 5 inches of glued plywood. Mine is a 4 8 sheet of 1/2 plywood ripped at the lumber yard to give me TWO sheets that are 1/2 thick....8 feet long and 24 inches wide.

Glued together and used a squeegee to spred the glue.

I am sure there are better suited finishes. But I just put on a bunch of indoor ploy on hardwood plywood. Only couple years, but it looks good. When spraying brake cleaner I use newspaper. Once in awhile will spray with balistol. Never spilt a bottle of solvent on it. Been covered with junk so I never really examined it since I started using it.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.