Reloading 25-06 28" Barrel Stats

Thanks RT2506 for that helpful information, I think i'm staying with the standard 25-06 Chambering, I think I'll have a good edge with my barrel length (I'm an old goose Hunter, lol).

Flashhole, I wrote Hodgdons and told them of my build asking their thoughts on the powder, ie... length twist of barrel etc..., not that I don't believe you, I surely do, I just want to check recheck, and check again giving the exception of the barrel I chose.

If I miss anyone its not my intent, I thank all you folks giving me sound and years of advise, though I've been shooting for sometime, I know nothing.

Savage 25-06 gun)

i think it is better for most folks to stay with the std chambering, but the AI was useful for my purposes. I don't do my volume shooting with this rifle, I have a 223 & 308 for that, but then again the 25-06 is not a "volume" chambering either, different strokes for different folks!

i think it is better for most folks to stay with the std chambering, but the AI was useful for my purposes. I don't do my volume shooting with this rifle, I have a 223 & 308 for that, but then again the 25-06 is not a "volume" chambering either, different strokes for different folks!

I have two AI rifles and about to build a third.
I cannot recommend doing it.
I do ~~ one out of 10 rifles in Ackley.
It is a real hassle to form the brass and then when the primer pocket gets lose, there is a real loss.

Hi Clark, thanks for the AI Information, as much as I'd like to see what it does in this Barrel I have decided to stay away from it.

Researching and talking to more people I agree that I don't think its worth it.
As stated before I think I'll have a great shooter when I'm all said and done, so for the bit I'd gain, between $$$ and shorter Barrel life, I'll pass.

Appreciate your post on the AI Info as a AI user.

Savage 25-06 gun)

... standard 25-06 Chambering, I think I'll have a good edge with my barrel length (I'm an old goose Hunter, lol).

Flashhole, I wrote Hodgdons and told them of my build asking their thoughts on the powder, ie... length twist of barrel etc..., not that I don't believe you, I surely do, I just want to check recheck, and check again giving the exception of the barrel I chose. ...

Savage 25-06 gun)

Good on you for going direct to Hodgdon. I did that several years ago when I found Varget was a very accurate powder in my 45-70 Guide Gun with 350 grain bullets. At the time there was no published data for Varget and 45-70 but the burn rates made sense to me that it should work well in the 45-70. A year later it showed up in their manuals. They will give you an honest assessment.

The 28" barrel is a bit longer than any for which you will find load data. You can figure about 75 fps more velocity for every inch over the test barrel they used to generate the data. Just another reason to use a slower powder than 4831. If you can find Retumbo, buy it.

I have not tried any Retumbo YET in my 25-06 because I have always been one that don't try to fix something if it ain't broke. My current 25-06 shoots just fine with 117 Sierras with IMR or AA 4350 at 3000 fps. I know the rifle and where it shoots and have killed every deer with one shot no matter where it had stood and they have fallen by a few hundred to this rifle. I did crop damage control for 15 years. This rifle just did not like H4831 for some reason. Retumbo really makes my 27 3/4" barrel 264 Win Mag do it's thing though. 130 gr Accubonds at 3350 fps with sub MOA accuracy. I have read good things from others that use Retumbo with the 110+ gr bullets in the 25-06 and it really makes them move and it is really accurate. I have killed hundreds of deer over the past 40 years with most calibers between 22lr and 45-70 and the 25-06 is my favorite. It just drops them in their tracks most of the time. You will love yours. Good luck and good shooting.

Thanks RT2506, I'll let you and everyone know what I come up with, the help is gratefully appreciated. love hearing all the angles and what works and doesn't work for everyone, it has let me make up my mind on Barrel choice, reading/research let me know what twist ratio to use for what I'm going to shoot.

So Again Thanks.

Savage 25-06 gun)

Hi Clark, thanks for the AI Information, as much as I'd like to see what it does in this Barrel I have decided to stay away from it.

Researching and talking to more people I agree that I don't think its worth it.
As stated before I think I'll have a great shooter when I'm all said and done, so for the bit I'd gain, between $$$ and shorter Barrel life, I'll pass.

Appreciate your post on the AI Info as a AI user.

Savage 25-06 gun)

Good choice! My first post only mentioned the fact I have a Sendero 25-06AI and then you asked about it. I never said anyone should do it.
Good luck

Nomosendero, was in no way saying anything bad to you, about you or anyone just to let you know. I have and do appreciate everyones input, it makes me research and more knowledgeable on things I did not or have not known about. even when I think I've learned something theres another twist.

I wrote Len today to see if there was any information to learn about Actions, what Actions work with what and how a guy may learn so when writing to someone they don't have to send twenty emails back and forth.

That post has a 104 looks and no replies which I find humor in.

I love hearing from everyone, its the only way I think to come to a great choice on the subject matter that one knows little of when they first start out, and the reason these Forums where brought about.

Savage 25-06 gun)

flashhole: Here is what I got from Hodgons Powder today in the this order for my barrel.

Retumbo

H1000

H4831 & H4831SC

These would be my top choices.

Dave Campbell
Customer Service Representative
Hodgdon Powder Company

Savage 25-06 gun)

Good on you for going direct to Hodgdon. I did that several years ago when I found Varget was a very accurate powder in my 45-70 Guide Gun with 350 grain bullets. At the time there was no published data for Varget and 45-70 but the burn rates made sense to me that it should work well in the 45-70. A year later it showed up in their manuals. They will give you an honest assessment.

The 28" barrel is a bit longer than any for which you will find load data. You can figure about 75 fps more velocity for every inch over the test barrel they used to generate the data. Just another reason to use a slower powder than 4831. If you can find Retumbo, buy it.

My 2506 abolt boss absolutely loves Reloader 19 with 100 Sierra's thru 120 Partitions. I realize my barrel is way shorter (22", I believe) and need faster powder but it's scary accurate for a stock factory rifle. Actually RE19 works great in all my 06 and belted mag up to 338WM casings.
As mentioned you could always get chamber reamed to 25-06AI in future. If not mentioned you can still use standard 25-06 factory rounds in AI camber and still shoot accurately. Personally If it was me I'd go AI, your already squeezing out extra fps with slow powders in 28" barrel. Why not take advantage extra performance that is available.

Gene

Last edited:
Gene R. Thanks for your post, I think for now I'm going to stay with the standard casing. As I stated in another post and like you said with the barrel length I'm going to burn all the powder out of my casings. the 28' barrel I've been talking to many barrel makers, just about all agree with the 1-9, and this puts me in the range that I feel good in shooting the 115gr-120gr bullets.

In my research I found a Savage 110 Action, and after learning about these actions, thats what I'm going to build off from.

Again thanks for your input, much appreciated.

Savage 25-06 gun)

Sav25-06, I built a 270wby a couple years ago . Here's the parts after baked on dura coat. If ya need and advise on build or suppliers let me know.

2012-06-08_08-11-47_864.jpg

Gene R. Thanks for everything, love Pictures.
What did you choose for a barrel length?

How did it all turn out?, what were your learning curves if any?.

And how do you like your Synthetic Stock.

I put a post up yesterday I think On Wood/Synthetic, and now I'll have to add Laminates as well.

Any supplies would be great, you having experience with them helps a lot.

Savage 25-06 gun)

What are you getting for groups at what Yardage, and what did you choose for a scope, and how do you like it.
Any recommendations?

Gene R. Thanks for everything, love Pictures.
What did you choose for a barrel length?
26" Douglas Straight taper to .700 plus Harrow brake. Only bad thing is the dust blown up from it but its a dream to shoot, recoil wise.

How did it all turn out?, what were your learning curves if any?.
Good I think. Getting the frickin factory barrel off was a pain. I just cut the factory lug and bought a new one.

And how do you like your Synthetic Stock.
It's a used B&C that I bedded the action and hvy recoil lug. I like the style and utility of it. I have pretty wood guns and I have work guns. I consider

I put a post up yesterday I think On Wood/Synthetic, and now I'll have to add Laminates as well.

Any supplies would be great, you having experience with them helps a lot.
Jim @ northlandshooterssupply.com Is the guy to talk to and get aftermarket lugs and advise. Hellava nice guy and full of info on savages.

Savage 25-06 gun)

What are you getting for groups at what Yardage, and what did you choose for a scope, and how do you like it.
Just a Vortex Viper 6.5-20 mildot reticle. I have 2 of them and one 5-15 Viper MIL/Mil. Vortex has been the brand of last three scopes and one set of bino's if that tells ya anything. My build shoots high .3"s to low .4's at a hundred and easily under 1" @ two hundred. My range @ house is only 200yds so that's the only groups I shoot from bench. Rest of shooting is @ steel at varying ranges in field positions.

Any recommendations?
BUILD ONE!
For the average guy who has some skills but doesn't own or know how to operate a lathe and mill. It's very rewarding to build/assemble a Savage semi custom. I built it for out west hunting and was successful in shooting a lope @ 450 off a back pack and Muley @ 125 off hand. It's a good feeling.:D

Sorry for delay getting back to ya my computer has a mind of its own. I had to give it a time out.

Gene

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.