25-06 load for T/C encore w/ 28" prohunter barrel

rtv900

I have a 28" T/C prohunter barrel on my encore in 25-06. I am looking to develop a load for it. I have very very limited loading experience. I have a friend who has the equipment and I just ordered dies. Does anyone know the twist rate for that barrel?

I am torn on what bullet to get. I am going to use the gun for Antelope hunting out west and Coyote hunting here at home in WI. I know those might require two loads but I am looking to just make one. I spend a lot of time at the range shooting paper so groups are very important to me. I have been reading and it seems like Berger bullets are really nice when it comes to BC.

Berger makes two types:

Type: 25 cal 87 gr Match GRAIN: 110 BC: 0.432 Twist Rate: 12

Type: 25 cal 115 gr Match VLD GRAIN: 115 BC: 0.523 Twist Rate: 10

So one has a rec. twist rate of 10 and the other 12. I am looking for the best groups I can get.

I believe I could take down an Antelope or a Coyote with the 115 gr. I think the 87 might be to light for an Antelope. I am not a fur hunter when it comes to Coyotes so I don't care if there is a hole in it. I just want to make sure there is some expansion.

Am I looking at the right bullets for my application (Antelope, Coyote and paper)??

Load 25-06

Jon

I just bought one as well and I believe it is a 10 twist. I own another 25-06 and shoot 115 Bal tip and 110 accubond. I haven't shot this but have 52 gr of IMR 4831 w 115 and 47gr of IMR4831 working on bullet depth hopefully to the range this weekend. Will let you know. If you find something let me know. I like both bullet but agree would take the heavier one for lopes... Coreygun)

More than likely its got a 1-10 twist barrel and that should stabilize the 115gr Berger VLD and for long range shooting thats a great bullet for the quarter bore. Get yourself a couple pounds of VihtaVuori N-165 and some Federal GM 210M primers.

Start at 54grs and work your way up , you should top out around 56-57grs with velocity in the 3200+fps range. The VV powder has proven to be very easy to load with , very consistant in temp changes and burns pretty clean. The N-560 may give higher velocities if you can find it.
Start off seating the Bergers to just touch the lands and work your loads up from their , typicaly the VLD bullets like to be close if not touching the lands.

jon,congrats on your encore barrel i'll 3rd 1-10 twist.
imr4350 works great also, a good friend has 3..... 28 inch encore barrels in 22-250 ....708....270 wcf. my 700 25-06 dottes on 100 grainers but shoot what ya like. regards

OK. I ordered 350 rounds of empty unfired unprimed Winchester brass. The dies are on the way. Powder will be picked up on friday and things should be on the way to good shoot'in.

Thank you for the help. I will let you all know how it goes.

I don't shoot an Encore but I do shoot a 25-06 in a custom Rem 700 26 inch Shilen barrel. It really likes 49 grs of IMR or AA 4350 in a Remington case with a CCI 250 primer and a 117 Sierra Pro-hunter 3000 fps. This is a great deer and prong horn killing load and bullet. Shoot one in the front shoulder and they DRIT.

accubond load

I've had the same rifle for a year. Present load for 110 Accubond is 53.5 gr RL22, 3142 fps, 3.25 COL, WLR primers. This is very accurate with low deviation and decent pressure and case life in my rifle. Work up though! The bullet is effective but not devastating on goats unless you hit bone, as it is a controlled expansion bullet.
Been experimenting with Hornady 100 standard spire points and RL25 and H4831SC. Both work and are easy to get accuracy with.
Berger made a 95 gr. match 25 caliber, but have no idea about it's availability or performance on game. Also, I've seen no reference to the 87 gr. Berger's game performance anywhere on the web. They shoot well out of my rifle, but even though they have 'match' in their name, the Accubonds are more accurate for me so far.
I've had a lot of fun working with the Encore, and learned quite a bit in the process. Mine would show copper fouling near the muzzle after 15-20 shots. I've been using JB products on it and it has slicked up some, at least 30-35 shots before seeing the same degree of fouling. If you want more info let me know.
Wallypedal

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.