Reloader 16 in 30-06 ?

RL 16 @ 54.0
180 gr
30-06
In your Rem 742 suggest RCBS Small Base Sizer Die and I like to crimp using Lee Factory Crimp Die. I have had good results with IMR 4895/4064/4166 load it like a M1 Garand.

IMR 7828 is way to slow for your Rem 742 very dangerous

RL 16 @ 54.0
180 gr
30-06
In your Rem 742 suggest RCBS Small Base Sizer Die and I like to crimp using Lee Factory Crimp Die. I have had good results with IMR 4895/4064/4166 load it like a M1 Garand.

IMR 7828 is way to slow for your Rem 742 very dangerous
I'd love to hear how it's "too slow and dangerous" just because it's a semi-auto... I use it in my .30-06 AI with exceptional results.

To much pressure will operate the gas system too fast and damage your gun. Mid Burning powders suitable for M1 Garand work very well in the Rem 742/7400 weapon system. It's the pressure curve. Different powders with Different burn rates have different pressure curves some at the end of the barrel some nearer the chamber. The Rem Semi 742/7400 has a optimum pressure curve band very much like the M1 Garand. So mid burning powders that are suited for the M1 will cycle very well in the Rem 742.

http://www.mssblog.com/2015/12/18/r...es-for-semi-automatic-and-bolt-action-rifles/

Last edited:
To much pressure will operate the gas system too fast and damage your gun. Mid Burning powders suitable for M1 Garand work very well in the Rem 742/7400 weapon system. It's the pressure curve.
Fast and mid burning powders produce a more violent explosion as they burn, producing greater pressures and faster force, this is why it takes less of a powder charge to reach peak pressure, than it does when using slower magnum powders. So, you have it backwards. So, by those physics, slower burning powders will be easier on your gun's recoil and gas system.

Certain faster powders might operate certain gas systems better due to the pressure curve and design, but it will not be any easier or detrimental on your gas and recoil systems than slower powders. Peak operating pressure, is peak operating pressure, regardless of how you get it...Whether you drop 10gr of Unique in it, or 60 grains of H50BMG. I'm not recommending Unique or H50BMG, or even trying it, I'm just stating that as an example. It's simple cartridge and burn physics.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.