Reloader 26 30-06 question

Jkling12

Getting ready to try rl 26 with 178eldx in my 30-06 and seeing if anyone else has experience with it. I've seen some guys running heavy accubonds with rl26 but not any eld. Starting at 59.5 and going to work up slow. Any info would be great. Remington 700 with 24" shilen barrel. Thanks

From what I've read and seen first hand, re26 needs a more heavy for caliber bullet to get the right pressure curve unless you're in a magnum case. But hopefully, it works out for you with the 178gr

From the posts I've ready 2850-2900 is easily reached by just over 63 grains which is just up to the neck for a nice full case. Lots of info on the Nosler page running 180s just not the eld

I did a 10 shot load workup over a chronograph that was kind of inconclusive and I haven't moved on to shooting groups yet, but I went from 63-64.8 grains and the velocity ranged from 2951-3025. The higher loads had a very light ejector mark but easy bolt lift and extraction the whole way. The rifle is a Model 70 Extreme Weather w/ a 22" barrel. My main problem is getting a bullet seated without leaving an imprint on the jacket with the seater die. The load is very compressed. I polished the seater cup with 600 grit lapping compound spread over an ELD-X bullet in a drill to try to mitigate it, but it still happens. I'm going to do a ladder next week at 300+ yards with RL26 and RL17 and see where that takes me.

Please report back your findings. I started very low at 59.5 just because everyone chamber/pressure is different. 2900 178gr eld with a 30-06 would be awesome. Thanks for the reply.

I also did a similar pressure test with RL17, since I can actually find that powder and was easily able to make 2900 fps with it. I'm going to ladder test it as well. The case fill is much kinder to the soft ELD-X jacket. No powder compression. I saw pressure signs about 3050 and didn't shoot the last couple loads. I'll bump the thread when I have more data.

Lot of guys shoot I-4350 with 165 gr bullets & RL-17 which is a tad slower, then they use I-4831 in the 180 gr bullets and RL-19/22 which are a tad slower...I think RL-26 will be inefficient in that bullet cartridge combo. FYI, I usually get higher velocity using the RL-17/19 products that with IMR.

65 Grains of RL26 215M primers and 215 hybrid has got me right @ 2850 FPS in my 30-06. I have a 28" barrel And have a .250 jump to the lands. COAL is a little over 3.6" I can't remember the exact number off the top of my head.

This is a little off the subject but I was loading a 270 with 150 Partitions plus RL26 and blew a primer. I had fired several, probably 20-25 rounds with no high pressure signs and suddenly it happened. After that experience I am much more cautious of RL26. Regards

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.