Reloader 26 in 6.5-06

antleredacres

This may be a topic that has been already addressed but I can't seem to find much info. I recently acquired a new(new to me) semi- custom 6.5-06 based on Rem 700 action and 26" barrel. I'm looking at finding an acceptable hunting load using Rel 26 as I'm using that powder already in a few other calibers and I like to standardize as much as possible. The 2 bullets I'm starting with is the Hornady 143 ELDX and Nosler 130 AB. Once again, these are bullets I already have in my stock. Where to start with min. load to work up? Any info. from those with experience would be greatly appreciated and give me a starting point. Thanks in advance.

Do a search for RL-26 in 6.5x284 in Accurate shooters forum. Alliant did not have any load information for 6.5x284 which has almost identical case capacity as the 6.5-06.

This may be a topic that has been already addressed but I can't seem to find much info. I recently acquired a new(new to me) semi- custom 6.5-06 based on Rem 700 action and 26" barrel. I'm looking at finding an acceptable hunting load using Rel 26 as I'm using that powder already in a few other calibers and I like to standardize as much as possible. The 2 bullets I'm starting with is the Hornady 143 ELDX and Nosler 130 AB. Once again, these are bullets I already have in my stock. Where to start with min. load to work up? Any info. from those with experience would be greatly appreciated and give me a starting point. Thanks in advance.

What is the twist of your barrel?

You can use start loads for RE25 in a pinch, but I would recommend using .5gr increments.
I run RE25 in my 25-06 with spectacular results. This powder is a genuine 100-150fps faster than anything I've ever tried.
If RE26 really is about the same burn as RE25, then you can expect good things from it.

Cheers.
;)

Tagging in

Just bought some last weekend and was wondering the same thing...I too have a 26" barreled 6.5-06 1:9 twist shooting 130's

I don't think you'll find the 130 a good match with R26. You'll likely run out of case capacity before you find what you are looking for. With the 143 I think you will find it nearly ideal with a nearly full case and what you are looking for in terms of velocity. Be cognizant of your brass weight and please adjust powder charges accordingly. I have formed 6.5/06 from 25/06rem and 270win and found 25/06 brass as light as 178g and 270win brass as heavy as 202g. Obviously, what is safe in one may not be safe in the other.

I don't think you'll find the 130 a good match with R26. You'll likely run out of case capacity before you find what you are looking for. With the 143 I think you will find it nearly ideal with a nearly full case and what you are looking for in terms of velocity. Be cognizant of your brass weight and please adjust powder charges accordingly. I have formed 6.5/06 from 25/06rem and 270win and found 25/06 brass as light as 178g and 270win brass as heavy as 202g. Obviously, what is safe in one may not be safe in the other.

I really think you need to look at the new to 6.5-284 thread...RL26 runs the heavies very well...

++ on RL26 and heavy for caliber/small diameter bullets. In my 6.5x55AI it pushed the 150gr. Matrix bullets much faster and my barrel shot cooler as well. I stoked it to 52.3gr. in Lapua brass. I've since switched over to RL23 due to less temp sensitivity. Still a screamer load, 280AI and 180gr. VLD's are pretty awesome too!

I've ran the 140 eld @ 57gr to get 3015, didn't change the seating depth on the die. just used it where it had been set for the Berger. I loaded all the way up to 58gr with no issues. I don't have any of the 143 or 147. not sure if my 8.5t would allow it or not.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts