Alliant Reloader 17 in a 30 06 load?

GlenShip

I am considering using Reloader 17 in a load work up in 30 06 and would appreciate the insight from anybody that has already worked with the powder. Basically I am looking for:

What was the experience you had reloading 30 06 with Reloader 17?

What where the end loads that shot the best in your gun and what was the barrel length? What type of primer's did you use?

What was the bullet weight that you used?

I realize I am asking very general questions about a very new power but this article at http://www.6mmbr.com/reloder17.html has defiantly interested me in considering reloading with this powder other than the conventional powders like IMR 4895,4046 and 4350 or what ever is the match to the IMR powders.

What I "idealistically" would like to use is 168 to 175 grain Sierra Match King or a Game King bullet close to the weight of the Match King in a 22 inch 1 and 10 twist barrel.

Any and all insights, good bad or indifferent would be appreciated.

Perhaps those that read this thread would post there "Pet" loads that have worked in a 30 06 with the bullet weights and barrel length/twist rate I posted above regardless of the powder used.

Thanks
Glen

Last edited:
Here are my results posted on another forum. What I have found with re17 is their data is really strong in most cartridges....max loads are really max. Some people haven't even been able to make it to the maxes they list. However I found that it was a bit weak in the '06. I think they might have put out data knowing some guns use older actions and didn't want to take the pressures up to 60k plus. I am still hoping someone is going to put a strain gauge on a more popular cartridge and test the powder more. I do have quickload and use my results and quickload forecasts pretty successfully to predict this new powder's vel but can't be sure if the pressures are right or not. Click below for that thread.

24hourcampfire: Range results..re17...nos etips...3006

Thanks Kraky for sending your results and the experiences you have had with this "new" powder.

I am up in Canada and it's a grunt just to find what gun shop/retail store stocks the powder, is an exercise in futility it's self. Let alone find anybody that has experience with Reloader 17 in Canada.

One question for you? "Now that you have had the ability to "put some down range" with Reloader 17 would you go back to a more "classical" powder due to better/perceived results or are you going to "ring" out the load with Reloader 17 because you feel it's a better option....even in 30 06."

Again thanks for the input...it all helps

Glen

Well....H4350 has always worked good in that gun. I was kind of thinking that if I could get some 150 etips going about 3000 fps with accuracy there probably isn't anything I'd be afraid to use the gun on besides bears which isn't on my menu.
MY tikka is an older series....not the t3. I noticed on my last trip to the range that the forarm is rubbing a bit on the barrel so I got out the dreml and removed some material. I guess in all honesty I'm just playing for now with the '06. For my Wis deer hunting I use a 308 auto loader and if I visit my buddy in AK I'll probably take the 300 wby, 300 win or 30-378. I have too many choices. Years ago I should have bought a rifles inc custom wby and stuck with it......but having one great shooting gun might get boring.
Probably my least fussy gun right now is a 300 win in a tikka t3. It shoots great to 300 yds and when my buddy gets his range built I'll be able to practice to 600. I may be playing a bit with re17 and the 150 etips in that gun.

I've tried RL-17 with 150 gr Accubonds in a couple of combinations in my .30-06 rifles. So far, it's nowhere near as accurate as IMR-4350, although velocity is the same or better.

Your mileage may vary......

I just shot some of it for the first time last week in the 30-06 haven't chronographed the loads yet that shot good in my rifle. Comparing reloading data between IMR-4350 and R-17 they are pretty close (velcoity)and I'll sure find. I got some pretty nice groups with 165gr bullets and I need to work on the 180's. I plan on trying it in the 270WSM,270,243AI,6remAI so the range of caliber I can use it in might find something that it likes.

I got to the range 2 weeks ago under less than ideal conditions and shot 168 Nosler BTs. The max charge I tried was 58 grains RL17, OAL was 3.41 inches. Max velocity was 2920 and it grouped at 1" with 3 shots. I did not have any signs of pressure and when I get a chance I will try to find what max is.

The powder meters very consistantly. Much better than imr4350 or RL22 the other powders I work with. Velocities were very consistant. It seemed to create static in my powder measurer which I have not seen before.

Forgot to mention it is very clean burning.

Last edited:
I got to the range 2 weeks ago under less than ideal conditions and shot 168 Nosler BTs. The max charge I tried was 58 grains RL17, OAL was 3.41 inches. Max velocity was 2920 and it grouped at 1" with 3 shots. I did not have any signs of pressure and when I get a chance I will try to find what max is.

The powder meters very consistantly. Much better than imr4350 or RL22 the other powders I work with. Velocities were very consistant. It seemed to create static in my powder measurer which I have not seen before.

Forgot to mention it is very clean burning.

You are somewhat over max load according to alliant data 58gr is a max load for the 150gr bullets. I was wondering how you got those loads? I've gotten 2900fps plus with IMR-4350 and 165gr bullets .

You are somewhat over max load according to alliant data 58gr is a max load for the 150gr bullets. I was wondering how you got those loads? I've gotten 2900fps plus with IMR-4350 and 165gr bullets .

Several reasons for the 58 grain powder charge. For one I neck size and the case is expanded slightly to match the chamber dimensions. This frees up a little capacity. I also am well over SAMMI OAL which frees up some case capacity and lowers pressures. Lastly I used the Tubbs Final Finish system in my rifle and that tends to allow the barrel to run lower pressures with the same powder charges. The Tubbs system alone can require one to two grains of additional powder to get back to the same velocities before the Tubbs process was done. The manuals for the 06 are also very conservative because of the mild pressure rating of the case. I am sure I can run 5,000+ PSI over the rated pressure without pressure signs like flattened primers or hard bolt lift.

Several reasons for the 58 grain powder charge. For one I neck size and the case is expanded slightly to match the chamber dimensions. This frees up a little capacity. I also am well over SAMMI OAL which frees up some case capacity and lowers pressures. Lastly I used the Tubbs Final Finish system in my rifle and that tends to allow the barrel to run lower pressures with the same powder charges. The Tubbs system alone can require one to two grains of additional powder to get back to the same velocities before the Tubbs process was done. The manuals for the 06 are also very conservative because of the mild pressure rating of the case. I am sure I can run 5,000+ PSI over the rated pressure without pressure signs like flattened primers or hard bolt lift.

You must of had a pretty rough barrel. I've read about the extra velcoity but not more powder must of missed something anyway did you shoot the barrel before and chrongraph any loads to compare against what you shooting now? I'm shooting a Lilja and Bartlein 1/11 twist barrel in my 30-06 and have a Shilen 1/13 Ratchet twist in another 30-06 and thats the one I'm using R-17 in hoping it come close to my load of 59gr/IMR-4350 with 165gr bullet @ 3024fps which is one gr below max load @ 3076fps.

You must of had a pretty rough barrel. I've read about the extra velcoity but not more powder must of missed something anyway did you shoot the barrel before and chrongraph any loads to compare against what you shooting now? I'm shooting a Lilja and Bartlein 1/11 twist barrel in my 30-06 and have a Shilen 1/13 Ratchet twist in another 30-06 and thats the one I'm using R-17 in hoping it come close to my load of 59gr/IMR-4350 with 165gr bullet @ 3024fps which is one gr below max load @ 3076fps.

I have some velocities from factory loads before and after Tubbs and velocity dropped by approx 20-25 fps. Temperatures were close so I think it was the barrel and not the conditions.

The Tubbs system tends to move the throat slightly forward and the polishing compound works the throat area more that the rest of the barrel. I did not measure my throat before and after I am just accepting what others have said were their experience when measuring the throat.

Those really good velocities for 4350 with a 165 grainer I assume you are running barrels longer than my 22" factory barrel and your slower twists probably help a little also.

Just an update on my RL 17 loads for the 06. These loads did not show pressure signs but the velocities were very high and did not push it any more as I feel I am in 65KPSI range with these loads.

59 Grains RL17 3.410 OAL 3010 FPS 168 Grain Nosler BT

54 Grain RL 17 3.410 OAL 2730 FPS 200 Grain Accubond

They both shoot around an inch groups and the point of impact is nearly identical.

Last edited:
Here are my results posted on another forum. What I have found with re17 is their data is really strong in most cartridges....max loads are really max. Some people haven't even been able to make it to the maxes they list. However I found that it was a bit weak in the '06. I think they might have put out data knowing some guns use older actions and didn't want to take the pressures up to 60k plus. I am still hoping someone is going to put a strain gauge on a more popular cartridge and test the powder more. I do have quickload and use my results and quickload forecasts pretty successfully to predict this new powder's vel but can't be sure if the pressures are right or not. Click below for that thread.

24hourcampfire: Range results..re17...nos etips...3006

I found pretty much the same thing on velocity with R-17 in 30-06. I finally got to chronograh got to a max of 54.5gr/R-17 with 180gr bullet @ 2790fps published velocity 2762fps. Then with 165gr bullet max of 56.5gr/R-17 2714fps published velocity 2874fps. worked up to a max of 60gr/R-17 in the 270WSM with 150gr bullet @3126fps published velocity 3041fps.

Testing RL 17 in old Rem 30s 23" barrel with Fed gold match mag primers and 56.5 grs Rl 17 2780fps good accuracy but showing high pressure very flat primers but no stiff bolt lift. Tryed same load with Gold match non magnum pressure sign was okay went to 57.5gr with reg primers 2830fps 3 shot all in one hole at 100 yards.
Loaded same load and fired 4 at 300y after first shot move scope up a little and fired 3 shots in 1.58"
took same load did not chrony in Rem 700 BDL 70s vintage with LPS 2.5 to 10x scope three shots
.920" at 300y
Never could get any ather powders to group as well as the RL 17 except for a light load of IMR 4895 43gr with 168gr Sierra MK .194" 4 shots. very soft load

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.