Redding vs Forester FL sizing die

ClydeG

FL sizing die no bushing, Redding or Forrester which is best, most consistent dies and why. Particularly looking for 25.06, 6.5 PRC and 7mm Mag. I really like Mighty Armory but they do not offer these dies. Thank you in advance.

I've got both no complaints with either. My latest is a Forster 6bra and I went with them as they custom honed the neck.

Future dies I'll continue to go with Forster just for this reason.

Forster FL dies and std Redding dies are basically the same quality level, IMO. This is a very good level. One may align to your chamber better than the other. You would have to buy both and compare fired measurements to sized to know for sure.

Forster has 2 key advantages. First, they offer the honing service. That reduces working of the neck. They also offer different size neck expanders for controlling neck expansion…..like a bushing, but better control.

Forster also only sells sliding chamber seating dies. The difference is micrometer or not which doesn't matter to me much.

FL sizing die no bushing, Redding or Forrester which is best, most consistent dies and why. Particularly looking for 25.06, 6.5 PRC and 7mm Mag. I really like Mighty Armory but they do not offer these dies. Thank you in advance.
Redding ,I do not care for the Forster dies I have cracked two seating stems the finish was not nearly as nice as the Reading dies

Short answer - I prefer Redding. Nothing against Forster, of which I have some, but the Redding dies work for me so I'm not going to change until/ unless something happens to make them not work.

Long answer:
Depends on how they match your chamber.
This is the real answer.

No one on the internet can mic your brass before and after it goes through your chamber then through the die. Best option would be to shoot several cases a lot of times in a row and measure them as you go along to see where different specs start to stabilize. Get three cases fully formed, send them to Redding, Whidden, or another custom die maker, and you'll have exactly what you need - minimal sizing for your chamber.

I use a lot of Redding sizing dies because they offer a wide selection of chamberings and tend to have what I need in stock. That said I have Forster dies that make great ammo so it's not like there's a good-bad comparison here - both are good, one will be better for you, but you have to figure out which one.

Lee and Hornady dies are great because they're low cost. I won't call them cheap because that would imply they're low quality, which they really aren't. I have a set of these dies for every case I load for because that way I can always load something, and they can get me to where I have some fully formed brass if I want to order a die.

Last edited:
I have been changing over to Redding bushing dies from RCBS standard dies. The only problem I have ran into with Redding was getting difference decapping rods sizes for set up in a 280AI FL bushing die. I order some rods, but wasn't happy with them from one supplier, but the other place Redding suggested to me did work. Graf & Son the set or parts to my dies. I had a 6mm/280AI rifle built. Getting set up to size the 280AI case to 6mm has taken a bit of thinking and set up, but got it figured out and working.
Getting Redding bushing die has been slow at best to get, and I still have dies on order. Brownell gave up on a pair of 220 swift Redding bushing dies. Midway came through with them. I still have other bushing dies ordered. Bushing can be spotty too from Redding, or from there retailers.
I did note awhile back somebody was looking for 280AI Redding bushing dies. I have gotten two, and still have 2 on order plus others.

For me, the Forsters have produced less runout than the standard Reddings. I believe this to be because in the Forster, the expander is high up on the decapping rod so the neck is still supported by the die as it is pulled over the expander.

Between the two, I prefer the Forster.

John