fL sizing vs neck sizing

D Scott

I've just started doing some reloading for a few months now, and have been shooting for several years. My question is

1) will neck sizing produce tighter groups in a factory rifle vs FL sizing?

2) and does/will neck sizing only present any concentricity issues when seating the bullet
I'm shooting a Remm 700 22-250 heavy 26 inch barrel and shooting groups with nosler 55 gr ballistic tips that are 5/8 ths to 3/4 of an inch at 100 yrds with some verticality to the groups, it seems the first 2-3 shots are nearly all in the same hole but the fourth and fifth shot climb up a little bit , other than a nice scope and a Timney trigger I have not done any "work" to the rifle, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance Scott

I've just started doing some reloading for a few months now, and have been shooting for several years. My question is

1) will neck sizing produce tighter groups in a factory rifle vs FL sizing?

2) and does/will neck sizing only present any concentricity issues when seating the bullet
I'm shooting a Remm 700 22-250 heavy 26 inch barrel and shooting groups with nosler 55 gr ballistic tips that are 5/8 ths to 3/4 of an inch at 100 yrds with some verticality to the groups, it seems the first 2-3 shots are nearly all in the same hole but the fourth and fifth shot climb up a little bit , other than a nice scope and a Timney trigger I have not done any "work" to the rifle, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance Scott
Scott im no gunsmith but the vertical stringing could be caused by improper contact between barrel and stock. Have it properly bedded and I think that will correct that problem. I have tried just neck sizing and didn't see any advanges compaired to FL sizing. If your are going to hunt with this rifle then I would just FL sizing because you will run into troubles trying to get off a second shot because it will be harder to bolt another round. Hope this helps.

Scott,
I load for 7 varmint rifles, and neck size for all. There is supposed to be no practical difference, but I seem to get a better chamber fit and a little tighter group by necking. Also less trimming. I use Lee Collet neck Dies, and load everything on Dillon 550's. Only load 100 at a time, and with 7 rifles that would average 700 rds. Just be sure to check at the start to make sure they will fit. It works for me, and 99.9%of rounds have always fit without any problems. For big game, I would only F.L. resize. Everyone has their own ideas that work best for them, and none are wrong, you just have to decide what works best for you. Neck sizing is less time consuming. My time is not worth much, but every day it gets shorter. I hope my opinion helps, but it is not absolute. Also my rifle are all factory, except 2 have Pac-Nor barrells, and 1 new Remington has custom trigger as factory would not adjust below 4 #'s. They all average in the .5" with a couple in the .3".

Last edited:
I have done both neck and FL sizing for a long time typically going full length for hunting and my AR's and neck for my target rifles. For the past few years I have gone almost exclusively to FL. I have found better consistency getting the case to exactly the same size on each consecutive reload. With neck sizing the case gradually expands to the point where you have to push the shoulder back to avoid too tight a chamber fit and difficulty closing the bolt. I do make sure that my FL dye is adjusted so that on each sizing the shoulder is pushed back only 1 or 2 thousandths of an inch. I see no difference in case life using FL.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.