Rechamber 300 RUM

tmcgarrigle

I've got an R700 chambered in 300RUM that is currently with the gunsmith getting a few things worked on. If it isn't a shooter any thoughts on what to rebarrel it to? Or would you keep as a 300RUM I bought it used and have not shot it yet.

RUM is a great round.
When my last barrel was toast I went to a 30 Sherman mag (PRC improved), the shorter case makes it more mag feed friendly, especially with the heavy bullets.

I've got an R700 chambered in 300RUM that is currently with the gunsmith getting a few things worked on. If it isn't a shooter any thoughts on what to rebarrel it to? Or would you keep as a 300RUM I bought it used and have not shot it yet.
30 SM is a great round with much better efficiency than the RUM if you don't mind a wildcat. It will shoot 300 PRC ammo very accurately in a pinch as well.

I went with a 27" 5R Krieger. Had to do an odd length since I'm a lefty. I went with a Light Palma contour. Muzzle diameter is 0.750".

Mine is a 10" twist. Next one will be a 9" twist.

Keep it a 300 RUM. However, fix the chamber with a custom reamer. Tighten up the neck diameter, freebore diameter and set the freebore to whichever bullet you want to shoot. Make sure you have the magazine length to support the overall cartridge length (I put a Wyatt's extended box in mine).

As you can see, it shoots. That's three Berger 215's in one hole at 100 yards. Shoots the Berger 210 VLDH nearly as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0165.jpeg
    IMG_0165.jpeg
    355 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0166.jpeg
    IMG_0166.jpeg
    235.1 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
I went with a 27" 5R Krieger. Had to do an odd length since I'm a lefty. I went with a Light Palma contour. Muzzle diameter is 0.750".

Mine is a 10" twist. Next one will be a 9" twist.

Keep it a 300 RUM. However, fix the chamber with a custom reamer. Tighten up the neck diameter, freebore diameter and set the freebore to whichever bullet you want to shoot. Make sure you have the magazine length to support the overall cartridge length (I put a Wyatt's extended box in mine).

As you can see, it shoots. That's three Berger 215's in one hole at 100 yards. Shoots the Berger 210 VLDH nearly as well.
I too am a lefty. Do you know what length of mag you are using? I would have to change stocks if I needed to go with any longer bottom metal

In all honesty the 300 Rum is a Great Cartridge, you can run the 150 gr for let's say Whitetail, 180 gr , 200 gr, 210 gr 215 , 220 gr , 230gr all can be used on Mule deer , Elk ,Moose ect.
All in the 1/10 twist barrel ,

I do have a 26" Carbon 1/9 twist barrel that is pushing the 245 gr bergers @ 3010 ft.per.sec. no critters with that one just yet !
Set up right the 300 Rum is great Round !

Hard to go wrong with Rum ! It taste great and knocks the Critters down !

Rum Man