Rebarreling with exact contour of current barrel

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Alan Griffith, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Alan Griffith

Alan Griffith Well-Known Member

Back in 1982 I had a custom shop, RWS Precision, in Janesville, CA build me a custom light weight mountain rifle in 30-06, based on a Rem 700 ADL action and barrel. He turned the barrel down to a toothpick and shortened it to 22". I believe the barrel may be getting shotout. I've not see any of the custom barrel makers offer any premade barrels with the same contour. Since I'd like to use the same stock with the action, does any one offer a service where I would send them my rifle and they would duplicate the contour of my rifle on a 24" barrel and install it?

Big Al

2. chris matthews

chris matthews Well-Known Member

Most all of the barrel makers will duplicate your barrel if you send it to them.

3. Alan Griffith

Thanks Chris! Now to start looking and asking around for a barrel maker who has a decent barrel for a decent price.

Big Al

4. wapiti13

wapiti13 Well-Known Member

Try Douglas or Shilen unless you want to jump up the price scale to a target quality barrel.

5. goodgrouper

goodgrouper Well-Known Member

Off subject,
    Would you live near the mouth of Hobble Creek canyon in Mapleton, Utah?

6. Alan Griffith

You got it GG! I think I've heard of you through Robert over at SW. He was talking about your guys trips to the mountains to shoot distant rock chucks. I'm the retired, still working as, Army Recruiter.

Big Al