Barrel contour

Nevrsummr

What barrel contour when fluted would be lighter than or equal to a carbon barrel, but with similar performance to carbon sendero?

I have a couple carbons and i love them, i just feel like some of the steel barrels might be lighter with better heat dissipation. I want nothing to do with sporter contour barrels though. Every one i have had heats up and walks.

Ive seen a few builds on here where the total weight is right at where mine are, but im running ti actions and carbon barrels.

To keep it simple lets go with bartlein contours and type of fluting.

Posts of actual builds and weights would be great. Thanks in advance

You're pretty much gonna have to go with a 2B contour, or maybe a fluted #3 in a Bartlein to match their #4 CFW weight. But you said no sporter weight barrels, so 🤷‍♂️

What barrel contour when fluted would be lighter than or equal to a carbon barrel, but with similar performance to carbon sendero?
None whatsoever. What's inside a carbon fiber wrapped barrel is essentially a sporter weight pencil barrel profiled like a dumbbell. There's no amount of fluting on earth that would get you a barrel lighter or equal to a carbon fibre wrapped barrel without it being not just sporter profile but actually a pencil profile.
Carbon-Fiber-vs-Steel-Barrel.jpg

I'm waiting for someone to swage a steel barrel core into a finned aluminum outer casing. I'd imagine that that would dissipate heat away from the bore at a rate that would put heavy steel barrels to shame. I'm sure there's a reason it's not common already but I'm not a metallurgist. If the fins were set up correctly I'd imagine you could make the barrel harmonically dead or nearly so which could have dramatic effects on accuracy.

Try this question another way. Whats the lightest contour steel barrel that will not have heat issues after the first 2 shots?

LPR seems to spiral flute a lot of his rifles and they are all hammers.

PM Cody on here.He had light 338 nm,steel barrel,was as light as my carbon

You get more weight savings with a spiral flute. However, a 300RUM might have heat "issues"long before my .243 in the same barrel contour.
What is the intended purpose of the rifle?
I have 10 Carbon brl guns with Proof and Barlein brls. I have 12 or so custom/ semi-custom rifles with fluted barrels. The thing I have learned is the rifle must be balanced. It isn't just about weight. Scopes and stocks play a large part of that.
WRT heat issue: Define the issue. A good barrel, chambered and mounted correctly should not walk on you w/ 5 or less shots. But again... what cartridge are we talking about.

Last edited:
Say 28 nos. Heat issue: poi shift/walking. I agree with you on balance. So of your 20 custom rifles, what works best? For now all i know is carbon barrels. Im fine with them, i like them. Just wondered if perhaps steel was better because of better heat dissipation.

Want to stay around 8.5 lbs - 9 finished rifle including optic.

I have a couple carbons and i love them, i just feel like some of the steel barrels might be lighter with better heat dissipation. I want nothing to do with sporter contour barrels though. Every one i have had heats up and walks.

Ive seen a few builds on here where the total weight is right at where mine are, but im running ti actions and carbon barrels.

To keep it simple lets go with bartlein contours and type of fluting.

Posts of actual builds and weights would be great. Thanks in advance
I've run both and you'd be surprised how little weight is saved with carbon wrapped barrels compared to #4 or even #5 spiral fluted barrels 24" or less.

None whatsoever. What's inside a carbon fiber wrapped barrel is essentially a sporter weight pencil barrel profiled like a dumbbell. There's no amount of fluting on earth that would get you a barrel lighter or equal to a carbon fibre wrapped barrel without it being not just sporter profile but actually a pencil profile.
Carbon-Fiber-vs-Steel-Barrel.jpg

That's absolutely NOT what a liner of a carbon barrel looks like. That is extremely unsafe and would not hold up to chamber pressures.

Say 28 nos. Heat issue: poi shift/walking. I agree with you on balance. So of your 20 custom rifles, what works best? For now all i know is carbon barrels. Im fine with them, i like them. Just wondered if perhaps steel was better because of better heat dissipation.

Want to stay around 8.5 lbs - 9 finished rifle including optic.
None of my carbon barrels have heat dissipation issues. For hunting I really enjoy my Carbon brls. But for shooters, I want steel to keep costs down.

My belief is the carbon brls have better heat dissipation because they use a thinner barrel...thinner metal will heat up faster and cool off faster, with all other being the same. Additionally, with the larger diameter carbon wrapped barrel, it has a larger surface area which also aids in cooling.

Last edited: