Barrel contour?

Mooseknuckles

I am trying to decide on which barrel contour to get. I am looking at either a bartlein #4 bull sporter or a sendero contour. The barrel will be for the 300 win mag I'm building for mule deer hunting. It will be on a Remington trued action with a grayboe renagade stock.
The #4 and sendero look very close weight wise. I am trying to keep the rifle right at 10 pounds. Any advice would be great.
Thanks Brandon

The #4 is nowhere near a Sendero contour in size. The Sendero is much closer to a #7 contour. I have #4 contour barrels on several of my rifles, two of which are chambered for 6.5mm cartridges. I view the #4 as a nice compromise on a carry weight rifle up to about a 7mm bore diameter, perhaps even .30 caliber.

However, the .300 Win Mag is capable of generating enough recoil in a carry weight rifle that you may wish to consider a muzzle brake. If a muzzle brake is a consideration, wall thickness at the muzzle is worth some attention. I currently have a .338 build in progress with a #4 contour barrel and a muzzle brake. Though this is enough for 9/16-24 threads, larger diameter threads would have been better. If I had it to do again, I would have gone with a minimum of a #5 contour. If your chosen barrel manufacturer offers it, going with a fluted barrel can offset some of the weight increase from stepping up in contour.

Bartlein contours are heavier than most, so their #4 runs about like others' #5s, which puts it a little lighter than a Sendero contour. A Sendero would be close to a 5 1/2.

John

For reference purposes, my #4 contour barrels have been Shilen and Krieger barrels. The Bartlein 3b is very close to the Shilen and Krieger #5.

I have referenced the Sendero contour as being close to a #7, based on the similarity of the Remington Varmint contour to a Shilen or Krieger #7 contour. After taking a second look, it appears the Sendero contour would be closer to a Krieger or Shilen #6 or a Bartlein #4.

If you were to go with a Sendero/Rem Varmint contour, fluting and careful selection of scope and mounts would go a long way toward offsetting the weight increase.

I thought with a sendero contour 10 pounds would be tough. Looks like I will end up running the bartlein #4 bull sporter. Another question, has anyone ran the Hawkins precision 3 port muzzle brake? Looks like a good design. If no one has experience I will probably go with an apa muzzle brake.

Check out the Lil' Beast brakes from Muzzle Brakes and More. Similar to the aps brakes, but less expensive.

Check out the Lil' Beast brakes from Muzzle Brakes and More. Similar to the aps brakes, but less expensive.

I have looked at his brakes look like a great design at a great price. Kinda hard to tell what he has in stock on his site. Doesn't seem to update it much. I will have to send him an email and see what he has.

I have looked at his brakes look like a great design at a great price. Kinda hard to tell what he has in stock on his site. Doesn't seem to update it much. I will have to send him an email and see what he has.

I have found Nathan to be very responsive to email communication. I had questions for him and he was patient and helpful. Good guy to deal with. I should add that elkahholic referred me to him.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.