Rebarreling my M70. 300WM or 30 Nosler

Methow Packer

I've shot this 300 WM for years. Blue printed action and Brux barrel. Time to change the 12 twist barrel so I can use longer BC bullets. I've been thinking about the 30 Nosler. Stay with the typical 10" or go with a 9". 30 Nosler appears to be @ 100FPS faster for sure but is there any other reason to change. Powder column more efficient? Inherent accuracy? Is it worth the change considering new dies etc. Easy enough considering the length and bolt face are the same. Opinions appreciated especially 30 Nosler users. Many thanks

You're limiting factor will be your short magazine box. I think the max coal is only 3.36 or so.

I have a model 70 in 300 win that I've had the same dilemma with. I'm considering rebarreling it to 7mm rem mag because it's a slightly smaller cartridge.

I think the ideal solution would be to shoot a WSM cartridge out of a long action model 70. However, I can't find anything on the internet of someone doing this. I imagine you'll have to do some work to the feed ramps in order to get this to work but I'm unsure.

You're limiting factor will be your short magazine box. I think the max coal is only 3.36 or so.

I have a model 70 in 300 win that I've had the same dilemma with. I'm considering rebarreling it to 7mm rem mag because it's a slightly smaller cartridge.

I think the ideal solution would be to shoot a WSM cartridge out of a long action model 70. However, I can't find anything on the internet of someone doing this. I imagine you'll have to do some work to the feed ramps in order to get this to work but I'm unsure.
Expect feed issues if changing to the Nosler or WSM. This is NOT a "drop-in".

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts