Rebarreling my Weatherby 7mm

bh5k

My Weatherby Mark V of 29 years is a little tired in the barrel. Groups started opening up a few years ago and finally decided it is time to rebarrel it. Talking to Weatherby and they are offering two options.

OPTION 1: 6724-06, THIS BARREL IS STAINLESS AND FLUTED BUT SHOULD FIT CUSTOMER STOCK (WOULD NEED TO BE CERATKOED)
OPTION 2: 6784-01 THIS IS A ULM BARREL AND WILL BE SKINNIER THAN THE BARREL CHANNEL.

I am 90% sure I want to do option 1, but figured I would ask others just to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

TIA.

Man, I wouldn't even talk to weatherby about this. You can order a custom barrel with a faster twist, and be shooting 195 EOL's if you want to. You can get that barrel in any length, diameter, fluting, and threading that you want it. There are so many people out there who can make you a better barrel, and I love weatherby, but I'd guess their prices on a new barrel are pretty high.

Man, I wouldn't even talk to weatherby about this. You can order a custom barrel with a faster twist, and be shooting 195 EOL's if you want to. You can get that barrel in any length, diameter, fluting, and threading that you want it. There are so many people out there who can make you a better barrel, and I love weatherby, but I'd guess their prices on a new barrel are pretty high.
Surprisingly they weren't high. And, they guarantee the accuracy with it. I have other rifles that I have built. Really just want this one back to what it was. (And, they already have the rifle).

I would agree with option 1. When I decided to rebarrel my 7mm Weatherby, I ended up having a 3 contour 9 twist Bartlein put on it and I have no regrets for a sporter hunting rifle. At the time I was pricing, Weatherby was a little more expensive than ordering a Bartlein and having the local gunsmith install it.

My Weatherby Mark V of 29 years is a little tired in the barrel. Groups started opening up a few years ago and finally decided it is time to rebarrel it. Talking to Weatherby and they are offering two options.

OPTION 1: 6724-06, THIS BARREL IS STAINLESS AND FLUTED BUT SHOULD FIT CUSTOMER STOCK (WOULD NEED TO BE CERATKOED)
OPTION 2: 6784-01 THIS IS A ULM BARREL AND WILL BE SKINNIER THAN THE BARREL CHANNEL.

I am 90% sure I want to do option 1, but figured I would ask others just to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

TIA.
I am in the same situation. What did you decide and how did it come out? I was thinking about having Hart rebarrel in a 7mm PRC

Pac not barrel will do a copy of the original contour for an extra 50 bucks

Don't have them thread it. The last one they did for me had to be replaced. When I screwed it all the way in the muzzle wobled at least 1/4" and maybe 3/8".

I had the gunsmith thread the replacement.

I think i would go with option 1.
But instead of Ceracoating a stainless barrel, i'd have the flutes painted.

I really wish that Weatherby would get with the times and offer their 7mm barrels in a more common 1:9 or 1:9.5 twist instead of sticking with their 1:10 twist!