What caliber to rebarrel to...300wm or 28 Nosler or?

Colin78

I have a 28 Nosler I am thinking about re-barreling. I can't decide if I want to stay with 28 nosler or go to 300WM. Or maybe something else.

A couple things to consider.
I already have dies and everything to reload both 28 Nosler and 300WM
I already have a 7 SAUM but it's only 20" barrel so a good bit slower than my 28 Nosler with a 26" barrel
Other than a 308 win I don't have a 30 caliber hunting rifle.
I like the flat trajectory of my current 28 nosler.

Question two....if I do 300wm I would want to shoot everything from 215 Berger Hybrid to 165 Nosler Ballistic tip. Would 1:9 be good for that? Why the 165's you might ask....My thoughts are that would get me back to the flat trajectory similar to my 28 nosler with 160's that is great for deer to 400 yards with no dialing.

What are y'alls thoughts??

I don't think you can go wrong with either. 30 cal 9" twist will work well. I would do an 8" twist.

Just to stir it up. Why not a 300 rum? You could run heavy and still be fast and flat to 400y plus.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. 30 cal 9" twist will work well. I would do an 8" twist.

Just to stir it up. Why not a 300 rum? You could run heavy and still be fast and flat to 400y plus.

I have thought about going bigger too. Was more thinking 300 PRC if I went bigger due to ammo availablity, that being said, I haven't bought factory ammo in years.

If you like the 28 Nos speed then I'd stick with it, I'm assuming you burned your barrel out?
If you want a 30 cal I'd go with a 30 nosler over the others

The 300wm is my go-to. I have two of them and they do everything I need. Nothing wrong with a 28 nosler other than it's a barrel burner. The 300wm with 200+ grain bullets is great at any range.

The 300wm is my go-to. I have two of them and they do everything I need. Nothing wrong with a 28 nosler other than it's a barrel burner. The 300wm with 200+ grain bullets is great at any range.
Since you like the 28 Nosler and are all set-up for its use I'd just stay with that chambering. Barrel burner 28 Nosler? If used primarily as a hunting rifle only it should last a long time.

Recent Posts