Rebarrel 7RM to what?

SOUTHTEXASBOY

I have a stock Remington 700 adl in a 7mm rem mag that I converted to a bdl with B&C M40 stock, timney trigger, and vortex pst 6-24x50 sitting on top. I am wanting to rebarrel it after this hunting season, I have a pretty good load worked up for the 168 Bergers right now using 69 grains of h1000 getting right at 2900fps shooting 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards. I want to shoot the 168 and 180 Bergers 500-1500 yards at everything from coyotes to mule deer and maybe some elk one day. I can't decide if I should stick with the 7rm or go to something else like 7mm-300, 7stw, 7rum, 7lrm or anything else. I do like to shoot steel and practice so I don't want something that's going to burn a barrel up too too fast and I also want the gains in MV to out weight the cost to reload or the amount of powder used to get there . What do you guys think I should do? What barrel manufacturers would you stick with, length and contour would also help.

Thanks

I have a stock Remington 700 adl in a 7mm rem mag that I converted to a bdl with B&C M40 stock, timney trigger, and vortex pst 6-24x50 sitting on top. I am wanting to rebarrel it after this hunting season, I have a pretty good load worked up for the 168 Bergers right now using 69 grains of h1000 getting right at 2900fps shooting 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards. I want to shoot the 168 and 180 Bergers 500-1500 yards at everything from coyotes to mule deer and maybe some elk one day. I can't decide if I should stick with the 7rm or go to something else like 7mm-300, 7stw, 7rum, 7lrm or anything else. I do like to shoot steel and practice so I don't want something that's going to burn a barrel up too too fast and I also want the gains in MV to out weight the cost to reload or the amount of powder used to get there . What do you guys think I should do? What barrel manufacturers would you stick with, length and contour would also help.

Thanks

Sorry I am just now getting back to you.

1,500 yards for deer and coyotes and hogs should be doable with a 7mm STW and 180-195 grain bullets, according to my ballistics calculator. I have not shot anything that far, so I can't give you any guarantees...But on paper it looks sufficient. With the 195's moving 3,000 fps MV, your max yardage (following the 1,300 fps rule) should land you right at a mile (1,760 yards). With the 180's moving the same, about 1,500 is where they top-out.

I don't think the 7mm RM would have quite enough energy needed to reach out that far, unless you were able to achieve 3,000 fps velocity (or higher)...

If you like the 7mmRM and plan on (realistically) doing most of your hunting and shooting 1,000 yards and in, the 7mmRM with the 180's will be fine. If you get the 180 Hybrids moving around 3,000 fps MV, then at 1,000 yards, you should still have around 1,753 fps Vel. and 1,229 Lbs. Ft. of Energy. Which should be more than enough to kill deer-sized game.

The 7mm-300 WinMag is a good option, and should be directly in between the 7mm RemMag and the 7mm STW, when it comes to performance.

IMO, the 7mm LRM is too proprietary. Brass is too hard to find, and Gunwerks claims it has it listed on their website, but every time I've been there, it was still nowhere to be found (maybe they've updated that, since then?).

The 7mmRUM is too much of a barrel burner and has too many negatives to outweigh the positives. This is simply my personal opinion...For what it's worth.

The .28 Nosler is also looking promising.

Thank you for your input, realistically I would like to keep most of the shots 1000 yards and under but given the opportunity and right conditions I would love to be able to reach out and touch coyotes, hogs and maybe a deer even further. I already have 100 peices of norma brass, and all stuff to reload the 7 rem mag so that's why I'm kinda temped to just keep it as a 7RM and in the future build something a little bigger like a 338 to take care of the big stuff farther out. To reach those speeds with the 168s, and 180s I would need a barrel 28-30in? What twist rate would best be suited for them? Thank you.

I suggest you stay with the 7 Rem mag. Just install a 30" #5 or #7 profile barrel. I mentioned this on another thread just this week: I got up to 3050 fps with the 180 Berger VLD with a 30" barrel.

This would allow you to keep using your 7 rem mag equipment and supplies. Recoil would be lower than the other offerings and you would get better barrel life.

I'd stay 7mm RM as well, but would go with an 8.5 twisted barrel. Then I'd get the 195 bergers going 2850 to 2900 fps, or the 180 scenars doing the same. The retained velocity and energy on the new bergers is pretty awesome in elk country type altitudes.

What do you guys think about a krieger rem varmit contour, fluted, with 4 groove rifling? I found one in stock? At a finishing length of 28 or 30in in 1:9 twist? Would you rather go for the R5 rifling?

What do you guys think about a krieger rem varmit contour, fluted, with 4 groove rifling? I found one in stock? At a finishing length of 28 or 30in in 1:9 twist? Would you rather go for the R5 rifling?

That's a fantastic blank for 180s, if your intent is go with the 195s look for a faster twist. 28" would be plenty to milk 3000+ fps out of a 7RM with 180s.

I wouldn't hesitate to run a 4 groove Krieger. 5R offers no clear advantage other than easier cleaning and even that's debatable in a lapped Krieger.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts