Upgrading my Winchester M70 300WM

ChewMT

Formerly 'chrischew'
First some background on why I wish to upgrade my rifle. I originally bought the rifle with the intent of slowly upgrading it over the course of time. It's current limitations are that it's stock. It's sub MOA accurate if I allow the barrel to cool before firing my 3rd shot. My scope while decent limits me because of it only having a 9x zoom.

This hunting season I shot my antelope at just over 500 yards with this rifle and factory ammo. However, I passed on a 300"+ bull elk that I had at 500 yards because I wasn't a 100% confident. The bull was on a ridge line near private and I knew I'd only get one shot on him. So I passed and shot a smaller six point at 330 yards. After passing on that bull it really gave me the itch to upgrade my rifle.

My intent is to have a rifle with the capability to reach out and touch an elk and have enough left over by the time it get's there to get the job done. I'm thinking Berger 215's would bring the most desired effect.

Before I start dropping coin should I be looking in another direction on some of my upgrades below?

As my rifle sits right now it's a stock Ultimate Shadow SS with A Zeiss Conquest 3-9X40 scope with a 600 yard BDC. Below is a list of upgrades in the order that I intend to do them:

Scope - Burris XTR II 4-20 x 50mm I can get special military pricing on this which is why it's my choice. Also I'll upgrade to a NF base and NF or Seekings rings I imagine.

Stock - The original stock isn't terrible but I prefer a fiberglass stock. For that reason I think my choice will be a Mcmillan HTG or Manners MCS T.

Trigger - I'll most likely leave stock and just adjust the weight down as much as possible.

Barrel - This is my biggest question. Either 26 or 28" with a Sendero contour or something similar. I read a thread on here from "Broz" (I think his name is) and he mentioned a Broughton 5r barrel. The only reason I'm leaning towards a 26" barrel is that I hike a lot when I hunt and an extra 2" gets hung up more in timber.

This is the bull I mentioned in the beginning. I ended up hitting him twice, he didn't go more than 15 yards in total. I had to shoot him a second time because he was close to private and had to make sure he didn't cross.

Welcome to LRH and enjoy! Congrats on a mighty fine harvest and enjoy some good eats.

Here's my 2-pence for your thoughts ...

1. I agree with the scope upgrade (my eye sight sucks); I definitely need higher than 9X magnification. Burris makes awesome scopes and XTIIs are no exception. However, you might want ot check out the Veracity line; I have the 4-20x50 E1 FFP on my .270 AI and loving it. Optics SME Bruce Ventura ranked the Veracity over XTII higher and for a better price >>> http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/burris-xtr-ii-147593/. Along with the scope, get range finder with the accuracy and capability of your intended range, if you haven't done so already.

2. You mentioned using factory ammo; I'd definitely consider handloading ... you'll be surprise with the results.

3. Stock: Excellent choice.

4. Trigger: Agree

5. Barrel: You'll have plenty of excellent choices and length would be a personal choice for your intended purpose. I was in a similar situation with my SAKOM995 in .300 WM. I consulted with my gunsmith on a possible re-barrel. He simply asked why and asked what kind of grouping I am getting, his response was, "when you no longer get that kind of grouping then come back and see me" :D ... that was nearly 10 years ago. In 2013, I harvested a MT bull elk at 931 yards with it using 190 Berger VLD at 3043 FPS, yes it has enough KE and the 215 would be much better.

I have 30" Lilja barrel on my .270 AI and I have no problem with it, it just takes a little extra work. :rolleyes:

It's a start, others will be here shortly to chime in.

Again, welcome. Cheers!

Ed

I agree with FEENIX. Everything looks good. If your current barrel is a 1-10 twist maybe try the 215's and see how they shoot. These bullets may surprise you as they are extremely forgiving. I see you are thinking of a Sendero contour which is nice. I went a different direction with my 300WM. I used a #3 BRUX at 26" and with a Borden action, Mcmillan gamescout, Holland brake, jewel trigger and a NF SHV 5-20X56 it finishes at 10 lb 2 OZ. Shoots better than I can and drives the 215 Berger right at 3000 fps with H1000.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

The issue with my barrel is when it heats up, it starts opening up a lot. I also mentioned it last because I most likely won't even get to it this year. I'll take a look at the above mentioned scope too.

The barrel heating up is very common with the magnums, but normally not an issue with a hunting rig like it is in a competition gun.

Your choice of scope is good.
I would get a new stock and bed the rifle and free float the barrel. McMillan is a great choice!
Get a hunter spring from Ernie the gunsmith and adjust your trigger or have a gunsmith do a trigger job.
If you want to get into reloading you can fine tune the loads for your specific rifle and results might surprise you. If not make sure to try a few different factory loads or get some hsm ammo.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.