Rebarrel ideas

Blacktail

I am by no means an accomplished coyote hunter want to be. Especially when i can finally move out of commi CA! With that said I have two 223's in the safe both tack drivers. One is a tikka superlite the other is a Remington LSS. I am contemplating rebarreling the Remington into another caliber for dogs and long range plinking and practice to keep round count down on my 280ai and sons 6.5 saum. I know many are raving about the 22 creed but more I look at it why not use a 243 with a twist rate for 75-80 grain bullets made? or am i missing something? thanks

I have a 6 creed 1-7.5 twist and it shoots one hole groups at 200 yards.but I would go to a 243 fast twist just to be different.call Travis Stevens in Miller, Sd 605-870-1567 TS Customs he has built 2 for me and does outstanding work and a super guy he will work with you to get exactly what you want

Fast twist .223 or .223ai would work.

If youre willing to change the bolt face a fast twist .243 with 107s will take care of song dogs as far as you can realistically hit one.

My hunting partner has been using his 6.5creed on dogs this year to good effect. Furthest hit was a touch over 500 yards.

Fast twist .223 or .223ai would work.

If youre willing to change the bolt face a fast twist .243 with 107s will take care of song dogs as far as you can realistically hit one.

My hunting partner has been using his 6.5creed on dogs this year to good effect. Furthest hit was a touch over 500 yards.
Ungiys

U guys mentioning the 223Ai got me thinking my tikka superlite 223 is a 1:8. Prob should leave the rem alone and punch that one to an AI

My AR (my main predator gun) has a 16" 1-8 twist Wilson combat barrel on it in 5.56. I have two loads for it. My go to coyote load is 40gr vmax over benchmark and a cci primer. It's going about 3500fps at the muzzle. Most coyotes hit with it drop without a twitch. My other load is a 70gr Barnes tsx at a touch over 2800fps. I have seen a deer get wrecked with that load and I'll say it was extremely effective.

I'm assuming your tikka has a barrel longer that 16" so you could probably get 70-80gr bullet going 2800 I would think. Maybe faster like 2900-3000 with the ai version.

My AR (my main predator gun) has a 16" 1-8 twist Wilson combat barrel on it in 5.56. I have two loads for it. My go to coyote load is 40gr vmax over benchmark and a cci primer. It's going about 3500fps at the muzzle. Most coyotes hit with it drop without a twitch. My other load is a 70gr Barnes tsx at a touch over 2800fps. I have seen a deer get wrecked with that load and I'll say it was extremely effective.

I'm assuming your tikka has a barrel longer that 16" so you could probably get 70-80gr bullet going 2800 I would think. Maybe faster like 2900-3000 with the ai version.
Good call it's a 22 or 22.5 I think. And it's a rack driver with 4895 and 55s

I'm running two different AR's I built both with 1-9" twists and chambered in 5.56. This give me the option to run chamber pressures up to 63,200 PSI as per Ramshot load data. One's a M4 clone and the other is an HBAR. I just started load development and got 50gr VMAX's at 3200 fps in the HBAR. I'll be switching to 53gr VMAX since the BC is G1 .290. 3200 fps won't be a problem and high 33xx is possible. A couple of advantages of you running a 223 AI in your bolt gun is less case stretching, the other is close to the same capacity as a 224 Valkyrie. A 1-9" twist will let you run from 40gr- 75gr bullets. But I'll probably stick with the 53 grs until I see what they do to a yote. I know they are vicious on sagerats and I watched my buddy drop a badger at 120 yards. DRT.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.