New gun ideas

ebagwell

Looking to purchase a AR for hunting fox and coyotes but not sure where to start. Looking to stay under 800. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

With so many choices in the AR arena these days it can be overwhelming for sure. If you read enough reviews you'll find someone saying XYZ brand is garbage almost universally unless it's a Noveske or JP or similar "top tier" AR. With that said, I would take a look at Stag Model 3's, M&P 15, DPMS, APF Armory (have this one myself and has thus far been flawless) or the market is flooded with used PSA kit builds. Bushmaster comes to mind when considering budget AR's, though I personally would steer away from the poly lower versions. Colt makes some entry level AR's that would be worthy of a look. Once you find some of these in your budget it will be up to you to decide what you can live with for options and how you would like it to look. I would not hesitate to buy a slick side (no dust cover or forward assist) for this use. You'll want a flat top to accommodate optics. I would probably even consider budgeting another $100 for an aftermarket trigger. RRA two stage match is popular, Geissele is the high end of AR triggers and for good reason. The stock mil spec trigger, while serviceable, is less than ideal for precision shots. If you're coming from a good bolt gun you will be surprised at how heavy and gritty a stock trigger can be. Once you settle on the rifle you can live with to start, it will be infinitely changeable after the fact if you find yourself gravitating towards certain furniture etc.

For song dogs you'll probably be in the ballistic tip weight category rendering a 1:7 twist a little on the tight side for the 40gr pills. A 1:9 twist is most common in the lower end market and will suit you just fine taking 40gr pills all the way up to the 69gr match bullets should you choose to shoot those someday. 16" carbine is probably the best choice if you do much hiking to your stand to keep weight light. No need for a 20" bull or HBAR for shooting Wiley.

Beyond that it should be a fun journey. Post up what you end up with.

I've used a handful of AR's over the years for predators and have loved them all. Just about any AR set up to your preferences will be an excellent choice for fox and coyotes. Here's a few options I prefer on my coyote AR:
-free floated handguard
-direct impingement for weight/cost/accuracy edge
-quick detach sockets on stock and handguard for QD sling
-16" barrel of a medium weight, (not light or bull)
-improved trigger- most entry level triggers are not ideal for accuracy, I really like the RRA 2 stage
- 5.56 or wylde chambering (just cause I like options)
-Forward assist (to help close that bolt a little more quietly)
-Dust cover (mostly to keep out the snow in bad weather as I have had actions ice up pretty bad before)

I have run DPMS, Bushmaster, Colt, Remington, Olympic, Rock River, and recently Troy AR's (all in 223/5.56). All have been very accurate, reliable, and effective and I can recommend any of them. Good luck and let us know what you choose!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.