Cali non-lead ideas

Ross1147

So, after 5 years of being gone the military has decided to send me back to Southern Ca. I've lived out there previously and had a blast shooting ground squirrels and calling in yotes. Problem is now it's all non-lead. I currently have a Rem 700 VSSF in 223 that I use as my Varmint gun. Used it all the time when I lived out there before, but haven't touched it the last 5 years down here in Florida because there aren't too many varmints.

Trying to find a good load now and the heavier non-lead ~50 grns will not stabilize in the gun. I've got lighter Nosler Leadfree BT 35 grns dialed in at around 3800 FPS. Personally, I'm a little hesitant to shoot a 35 grn bullet at a yote. Just doesn't seem like enough bullet to me?

What are my options here? Rebarrel the gun to a faster twist? Rebarrel to something cool like a 6 TCU or 223 AI? Or, leave it at home for yotes and use another gun (I've got a 25-06 and a 6.5-06AI that could fit the bill). I like BT for coyote hunting, shooting a solid copper to me seems like more tracking? I can find BT in .224 and .243 cal, but haven't been able to in .257 and .264? What are y'alls thoughts? Thanks!

First off - those little 35gr monos rolling at 3800 will lay the smack down on a yote. I shoot 32-40gr in my 204 and havent lost a coyote with them yet. As far as recommendations for types of monos go, I don't shoot them, so I will defer to those that do...

My main coyote gun is a 25-06, its awesome.

That little 35 grainer at 3800 will wreck a yote out to 300+ yards. I've been shooting a bunch of dogs lately with a 40gr vmax at 3500 FPS out of my AR and it's more effective than my buddies 6.5creed with 143gr eldx. Case in point. Last week I killed two coyotes, one at 30 yards one at 140 yards using that 40gr vmax load. The one shot at 30 yards back flipped then died the one at 140 yards dropped without so much as a twitch. Both dogs were hit in the chest. My buddy shot one yesterday morning with his 6.5cm at about 125 yards and the dog ran 40 yards out of sight before dieing.

What twist?
Hammer hunter bullets in 44 grain is good for 1:12.5 or faster

Also seen 45grain frangible/wintered copper bullets that might work, just cant remember who makes them

Ok, that's got me feeling a little better. My go to before when I lived out there were 50 grn V-Max's at around 3100 FPS. My furthers shot over a 3 year stent was 304 yds. So, if a 35 grn will be good out to 300 or so I should be good. Thanks for the responses!

Actually I've shot like half a dozen coyotes between 30 and 200 yards in the last month with that 40gr bullet and not one took more than one step/roll after being hit.

What twist?
Hammer hunter bullets in 44 grain is good for 1:12.5 or faster

It has a 26" 1 in 12 twist. The bullets I couldn't get to stabilize we're 50 grn Varmint grenades. I tried slow, fast, jammed and jump...finally gave up.

I killed truck loads of coyotes over the years with 40 gr bullets. I wouldn't hesitate to use those 35 grainers especially at that speed.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.