Any ideas

buck

Wondering if anyone has any ideas, been out the last couple weeks at night have had 7 or 8 different groups howl back at me, but wont come in. Have the new fury call have tried distress calls, female inv, lone howls challenge, have sat up to 45 mins. on stand, sum have closed the gap but wont come all the way. Maybe i should stick with one sound, just very frustating these tactics have worked in the past , but alot more callers & hound hunters around here now.

aww heck, i missed that part. i guess that would change things alittle bit. in my opinion, i do think some people tend to call alittle to much to quick. and i always keep the aggresive stuff for the end if possible. all though it would most likely work due to breeding season getting fired up right now. ive been having the same problem at our place in laredo. i know the place is over run with coyotes but they just wont come in. and the bad part is, im the only one that hunts them for miles. {chew on that one}. but bobcats they are different. i can shoot bobcats out there all day long but im just not that mad at them. i had a 15 minute stair down with 2 of them 2 weeks ago. i get so mad some times but thats hunting. if it was easy, everyone would be doing it right....

I wish i had that problem with cats, here in wis. we have to apply for a tag it takes 5 to 6 years to get one, i have 4 points now so hopefully i will soon. I half never called one in that i know of. But i will keep working on the dogs, want to go tonight, but the snow is so loud suppose to warm up tommoro that might quite it down a little.

It is that time of year when I have basically switched my calls from distress to female invitation and male challenge. We are at the beginning of the breeding season and like most males, regardless of species, the "Little Head starts doing the thinking for the Big head" Using that philosophy, has worked for me "To hell with food, I want to play around." Give it a try.

This is the beginning of the breading season. Use challenge barks and howls, female invitation howls and ky yi's. I use the challenge bark, howl then wait 10-15 min. A lot of times one will come looking for the intruder without making a sound. If that happens shoot it then wait a few minutes then do a challenge bark a lot of times the rest of them will come in looking for a fight. If they hang back and bark at you try the ky yi's or female invitation. I have thinned out a few call shy packs with this method and never made a prey sound. Patients is the key and dont overcall, get a good howler, I have a Rich Cronk cow horn howler its an excellent call. I hope this helps you out.

Thanks for the ideas guys, called in 5 & a fox last night, got 1 missed 2, 4 oclock in the morning on the missed ones must have been a little tired. really po's me when i do that. good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.