Ready To Purchase 1 of three choice Varmint Rifles Comments Please

Short barrels are stiffer then long ones, generally anyways, and that usually means there more accurate. Thats why BR shooters 100-200=300 yards use heavy bull barrels that are 20". Long distance shooters need the extra velocity sometimes to stay supersonic at 1K, so they need the 26" sometimes. Not to say a 26" wont shoot as good as a 20" though. Were talking minute differences, but in BR if thats all you win by, then you need every bit of accuracy you can get.

[ QUOTE ]
Short barrels are stiffer then long ones, generally anyways, and that usually means there more accurate. Thats why BR shooters 100-200=300 yards use heavy bull barrels that are 20". Long distance shooters need the extra velocity sometimes to stay supersonic at 1K, so they need the 26" sometimes. Not to say a 26" wont shoot as good as a 20" though. Were talking minute differences, but in BR if thats all you win by, then you need every bit of accuracy you can get.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the barrel length is dicated by the weight restriction on the gun. The window is very tight. The man who owned the Houston warehouse that a lot of accuracy research was performed, did some experiments with barrel length. I think it was 21.5" that was the most accurate consistently from barrel to barrel and gun to gun.

Additionally, I have a BR rail gun and the barrels on it are 26" and it is very accurate. I doubt that you could find anything other than another rail gun that will out shoot it shooting 10 shot groups.

James

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.