Choice pic of (1) best "all around" rifle!

If I only had one rifle for hunting elk in the mountains it would not be a sendero. Don't get me wrong I have one and love it but, I find it to be too heavy and cumbersome for some mountain hunting situations. I don't really mind packing it but it is not well suited for a quick off hand shot in trees.
I would get a basic Savage or Remington sps (stainless if you prefer), put a good after market stock (hs precision), and get the trigger tuned. For less than a thousand bucks you will have a great versatile rifle that you can easily upgrade parts on if you want. I don't have any Sakos but I'm sure they are good rifles you just don't have all the after market options you have with a m700.
As far as cartridge I would forget the .270 cals. I know they kill elk just fine, I have even killed one myself with a .270 but, a 7 mag or any of the .30s including the old 06 would be a better choice. Keep in mind, if you go with too light of a rifle those big .30s are going to have a lot of felt recoil. Just my thoughts as I used to be a 1 gun guy myself, I liked the 7 mag for this.

IM002039.jpg

If I had to, this could be mine. A Winchester Classic Stainless in 30/06, 4X-12X AO Leupy. Nuttin fancy run of the mill rifle. She loves 180gr bullets over a stiff charge of RL22. Possibly the best all around bullet for the Otter in my opinion. Oh there are many that will out run this load past 300 yds,but if I could have only "1" rifle and "1" load for it,this would be it. You will have to get a little closer to elk or moose than you would with say my 300 RUM. On the other hand,I have potted 2 or 3 whitetail with this very rifle every year since I bought her. With that load. This pic is a little older. She now wears a matte 4X-12X AO VXII in Leupold rings and bases. I have various rifles to choose from, 300 RUM,Stainless Classic 7mm Rem Mag, 700 BDL 25/06, Remington Mountain .243, BDL 270 Win and the 30 Otter above. The big 30 will do anything the Otter will,and more. With a case that costs no less than a dollar a piece,85 to 100 grains of powder,and no less than twice the recoil. But if I had to have only one,it would be the 30-Otter. Living in PA the bulk of my hunting is whitetails. I've used the RUM on them for sure,but they weren't any deader than the ones I took with the 30/06. Now that my preference points are coming of age,the big 30 will likely follow me for elk,but if I didn't have it,old Otter would be fine. She is solid and accurate and just feels "right" in my hands. Ballistics be damned,if you don't like your rifle you won't become "one" with it. Find one that you are comfortable with and shoot well.

+1

Show me a deer or elk that can withstand a well placed shot with the most popular caliber in history.

That said, of the choices mentioned, the 7mm Rem Mag, hands down, will serve you well. If I had to choose between your selection, that would be it. I have 2 7mags. For long range work, choose a 180 or 168 VLD. For punch power on close range stuff you have so many choices in bullets that will flat out work: partition, Aframe, TSX/TTSX, Trophy Bond, Accubond, Scirocco...the list goes on.
derek i have 3 30-06s ; two are verylight and esy to carry . the sendero oes not come in 30-06(or 6.5-284 except custom) . if i had to choose one rifle it would be a 7mmor 300wm sendero

if you are going to be in Colorado and adjoining States you will be wearing out the boot leather on rough terrain. The calibers you mention with modern bullets and powders will all get the job done. So my choice would be a shorter action and lighter high quality rifle of the ones listed or similar. Much more to the rifle than just caliber.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.