Your perfect all around carry rifle?

My 270 built by Greg Richards that wears a 24" #3 Broughton-Richards bbl, trued 700 action, trigger 2 pounds, Rimrock stock by Borden, 150 VLDs over 51.0 gr IMR4350, Fed 215M primer, Win brass. Scope is Leupold 4.5x14x40 VX III

I had one built in '94. Blueprinted Rem 700 with Sako extractor, McMillan Griffin & Howe with light fill (that would now look like the Sporter in Edge technology) 24" Pac-Nor 4 taper barrel with brake, chambered in .300 Jarret. That rifle weighed an even 7lbs. I shot the barrel out, rebarreled in .358 STA, then sold it. Light enough to carry easily, stout enough components to shoot very well. May build another like it one day.

SAKO AIII 7mm Rem Mag, Zeiss Victory Diavari 3-12x56. That's my choice for a carry rifle. 3x is a little high for brush so my backup is a 30-06 with a 1.5-6x.

A one favorite carry gun able to do all this would be a Weatherby Ultra lightweight in 7 Mag. 4-14 x40 Leupold.
I had one of these in a 25-06 with a 3.5-10x40 vxii. It would shoot 1/2" from a cold barrel. I was real dumb to get rid of it. Awesome rifles! I feal the 25-06 is a little light for elk or for shooting past 500, the 7mm mag or a .280 would be the ticket.

Around these parts (Piney woods and close target terrain)....

My favorite carry (firearm)....

Model 27 Smith & Wesson long barreled .44 magnum.

Don't need no rifle.

I'd bet either that's a model 29, or you're shooting a 357. :)

And yes, I carry a 629 for in-the-woods deer on this side of the state too.

However, my Wby Vanguard in 270 with B&C Medalist stock is quickly becoming my favorite carry rifle. My son's favorite, too.

My Wife and I both have ruger compacts in 7mm-08 they are both wonderful little guns. Hers will shoot dime sized groups with 140gr Bergers. Mine is an inch to inch and a half gun with the same load. Perfect little guns to walk around with.

For an average light carry rifle I have Tikka T-3 lights in 300 wsm, 300 winchester and 338 winchester all of which are very capable to 800 yards.

For a long range rifle the Mcmillan EOL Outdoorsman at 7 3/4 pounds combines long range capability with carry rifle light weight. I used this rifle at both long range targets and hunting since November and am very excited about it.

338 Norma,26''ABS,braked, Defiance fluted and alum.knob,Lonewolf-7-2 oz w/rail. 8-12 oz Dressed w/6-20x50,ACI,level,SLING,shot 6''@1000-325 WSM ss A-bolt w/ 4-14-7-6oz.

I have another 270 that is a real joy. Light wt Ruger MK II M77 with a shortened wood stock, Hart barrel shooting the 110 TTSX/TSX bullets. Put a Pachmyer on it and it kicks like a 243 or less.

wwii 8mm mauser. custom stock, trigger, millett scope, custom loads, original german barrel 1/2 moa @ 100 yrds 9 lbs loadedgun)

i have a bullpup that i mostly built myself. it's less than 36" long, weighs about 8.5 lbs scoped and can shoot a 225 gr bullet over 3400 fps.

Killed a lot of critters with a good old Rem BDL 06 but now it's a 270 AMP #5 rockcreek fluted, small pain killer break, rem blueprinted action, jewell trigger @1.75 lbs lupy vxiii 6.5 x 20 40 mm m1 turret lss bedded stock

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.