Bullet choice for all around .338 WM load.

4ked Horn

I'm going to help my brother put together a load for his .338 win mag. I am interested in which bullets you might reccomend for taking mostly deer, a few elk and black bear. Ranges from 50 to 800 yards (the vast majority inside 400) I would also like to know of any range or velocity concerns we might have such as ballistic tips being used under 2800 fps for best expansion or SGKs not doing well on busting shoulders or what not.

I am leaning toward something in the 170 to 200 grain size. Maybe an accubond or a non bonded Wildcat with an .030 jacket. Maybe a Hornady SXT.

Mostly looking for some raw input to help narrow the field a bit. While we are at it throw a favorite powder choice in there as well.

Thanks for the input.

As long as your brother keeps hitting them in the spine, I don't think it will matter what bullet he uses. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think that one of the big things will be to use a powder that is not temp. sensitive since he could be out when it is 70F out or 20F.

I am using the following:

200 gr NBT 73.5 gr IMR 4831 @ 2932 fps

200 gr NBT 70.5 gr AA 2700 @ 3002 fps

The 200 gr Speer also shoot extremely tight groups!

Not sure about any of these for LRH. I would try 250 SGKs!

jmc

Stephen

I wonder from reading the weight of the bullets you're considering that recoil may be a consideration.

I notice that most fellas are settling on a 225 grain bullet for elk. I'm pretty much hooked on the 250grn'rs.

Id recommend Winchester brass for greater case volume thus more velocity. Rem brass works well but gets to pressures sooner.

I'd start with RL-22 and follow the 'book' to start working up the load for a 225 or 250.

For a bullet I'd start with the Sierra 2600 (250grn boattail) In my Rem 24" bbl they go 2850 but shoot ground squirrel accurate at 2800. (pretty much 1/2 MOA)

The other bullet that shoots even better is the Wildcat 252 RBBT. (solid 1/2 MOA)

The Sierra at 2800 and a 300yd zero puts it at 5 mils down at 830 yds. Have shot it at 760 and its spot on. Thus no clicking out to the 830 mark. Wanna get to 1K w/o comeups but would have to go with an Edge or Tommy or maybe even a Thunder. However I'm probably gonna rebarrel to a 338 RUM and play with that awhile.

If recoil is a problem it could be removed with a Holland brake. Makes the 338 about like a 308 or so. Or get the weight up to around 10 #s and a limbsaver pad then you don't have to wear ear protection while hunting.

I don't think the BCs on the 200s and lighter would allow the reach you mentioned.

Ya gotta love the 338.

Hope this helps.

[ QUOTE ]
I think that one of the big things will be to use a powder that is not temp. sensitive since he could be out when it is 70F out or 20F.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

[ QUOTE ]
200 gr NBT 73.5 gr IMR 4831 @ 2932 fps
200 gr NBT 70.5 gr AA 2700 @ 3002 fps

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you having good results on deer and elk with that bullet or is it misbehaving on one or the other?

[ QUOTE ]
recoil may be a consideration.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not even a consideration. I was thinking that these moderate weights would be enough for busting a shoulder on an elk or would be capable of going stem to stern on an elk if need be without being too heavily constructed for closer work on a doe.

His remington is one of the lightest recoiling magnum rifles I have ever fired. No brake on it, it just shoots real nice even with factory 250s.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think the BCs on the 200s and lighter would allow the reach you mentioned.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't played with the numbers yet so that may be right but if he can't get 800 out of it that is fine. 600 would be plenty for a factory tube and would still reach 90% of the deer we have seen in the last two weekends. We can also play with tapered bases when he gets a new scope that will be equiped with target knobs. (I'm turning him into a knob cranker slowly but surely. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Do you have a preferance in the weight range mentioned?

Yes I do love the .338 It's a good round and he's got a good gun.

They both shoot extremely well, but this rifle has been pushed to the back burner in favor of my SAUMs. I have a dozen rifle/loads to 'test' or game, but I only have 3 deer tags. If I can get a line on some pigs, I'll let you know how they perform.

NBTs in 338 an above are beefed up already, I have recovered some from the claybanks. The BTs hold up better than the Speers do. The WW factory BTs are sweet shooters too, 2981 fps in my rifle. The 250 Part Golds are shooting 3/4 MOA at 2768 fps in my rifle. I am in East TX, so I won't be testing them on any elk or the like, but pigs will bleed in their stead.

The man that gave me the rifle did take several mulies, white-tail and an elk with the 200 gr Speers loaded with 4831. My Dad used the 210 NP but had no shots.

Stephen

I use 225gr Barnes trip shocks for my .340wby. If I had a .338win I'd try to use the 210gr Barnes Trip shocks. Or the 185's. For the ranges you've listed I think these would be the best deal out there. good luck

I would go with a 225gr Nosler bullet. I have some loaded for my 338 RUM they are an excellent round.

Let me check, but I think I have a few 225gr Barnes X bullets that you can try if you want. If you don't already have the 338 dies, I've got some you can use.

Horn,
I didn't realize that you could load anything but Nosler 210 Partitions and H4831SC in the .338 Win. mag /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ian, I'm wit'cha. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Recent Posts