all around 7mm bullet

I picked up a STW a few weeks ago and was thinking the same thing. Found some Federal loaded up with 150gr Nosler Solid bases just to get things off to a start. Initial sight in showed just over 330fps out of my rifle, and I got just under 3/4" groups at 200yds. I managed to take out three hogs with it last Saturday at under 50 yds and was totally impressed with the bullet performance. I had figured that they would possibly blow up due to the high velocity but they were flawless.

I have always liked the Solid bases over the rest but they keep pulling them off the market. They might not have the highest BC but for general hunting they have always seemed to work the best time and again. I was told years ago that the BT's were identical but had the high BC tip, didn't believe them then and still don't.

From the list I would, and will most likly go with the AB's and hopefully they will work as well.

Best all around? I'd pick a 160 grain bullet also. Best for me? I've had ~ 18 years of experience with the 150 Btip.

I've taken about 17 game animals with my 150Btips/7RemMag combo with drt results. I switched 100% from the 140 to the 150 about 7 years ago when I found a bunch on sale. One of the techs at Nosler uses the same combo...told me he killed a nice elk at 140 yards this season with 150Btip. Here's the most recent kill:

2006WYantelopeDerek4.jpg

I shoot accubonds, don't really need them for LR hunting on our little deer, but here in the east you may be watching LR, but a buck could appear at 30 yds. If its a good buck I really don't wanna turn a 140 BT loose at 3700 fps out of the AM, at a 120 pound whitetail. I know the accubond (160) will do the job and not blow a hole you could throw a cat through in a deer.
RR

Will the 180g VLD stabilize in the factory 9 1/4 twist out of a standard 7 RM velocitys? Its close enough to 9" twist I thought it might work, but would like to know for sure before I go buy $30 worth of bullets that wont shoot. I'm shooting the 175g SBT at 2810fps so the extra 5g wont make it that much slower, but its got quite an advantage in the BC department.

I would think they should work in a 9 1/4. I know some guys have been shooting them and the 175MK out of 284's with 9twists.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts