Best all around bullet for the 300 Win Mag?

Best all around 300 Win Mag bullet?

• 200gr Nosler Accubond

Votes: 33 32.0%
  • 200gr Nosler Partition

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • 210gr Nosler Accubond

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • 180gr Barnes TTSX

Votes: 16 15.5%
  • Other

Votes: 45 43.7%

• Total voters

AKBman

I am talking deer to moose, plains game and brown bears. I used to rely upon the 200gr Nosler Partition, but I have found other bullets that shoot a bit flatter at longer ranges. Thinking I should have added some of the Berger Bullets, I have some 190s I haven't tried yet, I don't hunt with them, but I like the 208gr AMax bullets too. Just looking for some opinions so I can do some more research and shooting.

Last edited:
I have been working up loads for deer, elk and bear for my 300 win mag. I have had real good luck with the 208gr AMAX and the 200gr LRX. Consistently under 1MOA out to 600 yards with both loads ( thats the farthest i feel i can effectively shoot with my current scope). I will be setting out this weekend for the opener of the general rifle deer here in Idaho and i will be using the 208gr AMAX as my deer load. I have not taken any animals yet with either load, but i feel confident that with proper shot placement either load is more than capable of a one shot kill.

The Noslers 200 grain bullets are both good. The Accubond has replaced the partition for me. The 210 may well be the best on the list, but I haven't tried it yet.

Some very good bullets are not on the list.

I have been able to get outstanding accuracy and long range ballistic performance out of the 210 Berger Hurting VLD. While I have killed several medium sized game with this bullet, I have not been happy with the expansion. Fairly small wound channels compared to Accubonds, Partioions and the like. I recently tried some 215 Bergers and found that they gave comparable accuracy and better ballistics over the 210 but have not shot any game with them yet. I'm wondering if anyone had seen the same effect with the 210's and if the 215 Bergers have different(better) expansion characteristics on medium game.compared to the 210 VLD's?

I have never shot the 210's, but the 215's on deer from 500 to 700+ yds have been devastating. As far as meat damage goes I would say a bit to much expansion. But if you are wanting DRT results the 215 is the bullet. I use the 215 in a 300 RUM and a 300WM. Also very accurate and easy to develop a load for.

Loading the 200grain Barnes LRX in 3 different 300 Win mags now as well as a 300 RUM. One shot kills out to 600 yards so far on a variety of animals including Marco Polo sheep. Animals usually dead in the tracks they were standing in or very close to them.

I used the 180gr Nosler Part for years..........game from deer to moose

Now I use the 175gr Barnes LRX with Reloader 22 for my Alaska moose.......in my 300 Win Mag.

In my 338 Win I use the Barnes TTSX TAC 225gr with Reloader 19.

I am trying the 200gr Accubonds in my 300 and my '06, same with the 190gr Bergers and 180 TSX. I reserve the 300 for mostly long range shooting, and the '06 for 300 and in.

I'd lean towards the Barnes 175 LRX. Good bullet weight, great weight retention, and a high BC. While it doesn't have the BC's of some other bullets out there, it's pretty tough to beat for large, tough, and possibly dangerous game. memtb

I do like the fact that after impact, the monometal bullets act like a heavier bullet do to their weight retention, I just didn't like the iffy expansion on some of the older models. I will pick up some of the LRX bullets and give them a go.

I really appreciate all of the votes and the comments. When I read articles in magazines, it's always in the back of mind, the wonder at how much advertising money does said bullet manufacturer spend there? On here I get input from people who know what has worked for them, not saying it makes it any easier, or that all magazine writers are just lying to me, but I like to see a broad spectrum of results from the different brands. I doubt there is one "perfect" bullet, but I sure would like to lay in a large supply of the best one I can get.