Ready To Purchase 1 of three choice Varmint Rifles Comments Please

Inukshuk

Inukjuak, Canadian Eastern Arctic 59 parallel
I have been researching for quite a bit now for a new varmint rifle in .223. I have so far narrowed it down to three models:
-CZ 527 Varmint Kevlar
-Tikka T3 Varmint
-Savage 12FV

I was also looking at the remington's but their twist rates are all 1:12 and that limits me to a 55 gr, while the others are 1:8 and 1:9, so I can go up to 77 gr which is better. Now I have recently read some negative revues on one of them regarding customer support and factory control before shipping that was not good and that worries me. I won't say which one. If you all could give your experiences Pro & Cons I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Andre

I would go with an Remington 700 VS it has an HS stock on .

For a little cheeper you could go with an Rem 700 VLS .

I have both in 223 , 22 250 ,243 ,308 7 mm 08 .I like the 22 250 the best hI hunt P Dogs Coyote Crows Hogs Dear with my 22 250 .

My rem 22 250 willl make an Clean Kill at 300 yards No Porblem .
But I will put more in my scope then I have in the Rem 700 22 250 rifle .

A Good scope is just as Important as a Good Rifle .

Redbone

Just for hunting rifle I own an ruger, Howa , AR 15 Bushmaster Varminter ,Browning ,T C Encore an Contender ,Savage ,CZ, Copper ..

But The Rem 700 Just works for me .

You need to look at all of them an find what works for you .

You are the one that will shoot the rifle .

I just Tryed all The Rifles That I can get my Hands on .

If one of my buddys get an new Rifle In I try to shoot it as much as he will let me .
But On the other hand I will let my buddys try my new Rifles If they want to shoot them .

Redbone

If funds are not in question the Tika is the hands down winner with the savage being the second choice(first if your short on funds)The CZ is a fine enough gun,I realy like the set trigger for doggin but it would be questionable in cold weather with gloves on.It also was probibly the one you herd had cusomer servise issues...Not sure at this point if they even have cusomer service as when I tryed to get a replacement part it was difficult at best!

-Savage 12FV

Of the 3 That you have listed.........Other options were listed above by other posters

No experience with the Tikka. The CZ probably has the best quality bbl and an HS stock but has a much weaker action than the Savage. I have not had a CZ (6 and counting) that was not a sub 3/4" gun. The savage has a strong action, poor trigger unless you go for an accutrigger model and pretty good button rifled bbls. If you ever plan to rebarrel the Savage is a do it yourself rifle.

Tim

Thanks everybody for your input. Since this thread began I checked out a few more, but only a couple extra had the specks I'm looking for which is mainly a 1:8-1:9 twist in the .223
-Reminton 700™ XCR Tactical
-Sako 85 Varmint
-Sako 75 Varmint

But these babies are quite a bit more expensive "Super nice though".
Money money money. I know the general rule is you get what you pay for. I already paid good for a custom, but really can't afford one of the higher end ones sadly. Each one has it's pros and cons. Think I'll wait till I go down this summer and try to go to as many gun shops as I can for some checking. To bad it's not possible though to have access to all these models. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
In the meantime more input please.

I have a Savage 12VLP in 204. If the 223 shoots as well it would be a first choice for me.. I shot a .4 group @ 321 yards with mine. My buddy has a 204 in the 12FV and I'm sure it will shoot just as well.

Blygy

Just an fyi, the Rem 700 SPS Tactical in .223 has a 1-9", and is retailing here for ~$570.

Also sports a 20" bbl, which excites me, though not all share in my feelings.

[ QUOTE ]
Just an fyi, the Rem 700 SPS Tactical in .223 has a 1-9", and is retailing here for ~$570.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please pardon my ignorance, but i too am looking at a lot of the same riles and am confused by the 20" barrel statement: You say that excites you, i would have thought shorter the barrel meant less accuracy, longer meant better. Is that wrong, if so would one of you please explain it to me? PLEASE, because i lso liked that gun and was not considering it BECAUSE of the 20" barrel!

Thanks ALL - Rod

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please pardon my ignorance, but i too am looking at a lot of the same riles and am confused by the 20" barrel statement: You say that excites you, i would have thought shorter the barrel meant less accuracy, longer meant better. Is that wrong, if so would one of you please explain it to me? PLEASE, because i lso liked that gun and was not considering it BECAUSE of the 20" barrel!

Thanks ALL - Rod

[/ QUOTE ]

Rod

From what I have always understood is that a longer barrel would help in velocity & accuracy for long ranges "600-1,000 yrds" and farther. For shorter distances doesn't matter.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.