Re-loading manuals are frustrating

RustyRick

We know precise the sport of reloading is. I think we're all somewhat OCD and ADD.

So when I start a new load. I need to just look at one manual. There's such a massive difference. Even in whats called MAX loads. GRR my rant today

Yeah, that does cause some confusion. I usually use the highest "max" charge as the absolute number and work up my loads from a lesser charge weight while keeping a eye on pressure signs.

To me reloading manuals are just a starting point, a point of reference. I do not follow them like they were the bible or law. I keep a nosler, a hornady and a hodgen manual on hand for reference. Low and slow is my motto for loading, especially when working with wildcats or non-standard chambers.

We know precise the sport of reloading is. I think we're all somewhat OCD and ADD.

So when I start a new load. I need to just look at one manual. There's such a massive difference. Even in whats called MAX loads. GRR my rant today
I hear ya on that one. I try to use powders that vary little between books when I can, as they are often the best choice for the cartridge. When I do have to use a powder with a good bit of variance, I usually start at about the lowest charge weight, then go to normal speed and pressure as I increase charge weight.

To me reloading manuals are just a starting point, a point of reference. I do not follow them like they were the bible or law. I keep a nosler, a hornady and a hodgen manual on hand for reference. Low and slow is my motto for loading, especially when working with wildcats or non-standard chambers.

Ya I have toooo many manuals. Add Lyman and the companies resources till I'm under the bed saying the Greek alphabet.

The manuals from the bullet manufacturers are the ones I pay the most attention to for max loads, because they know more accurately the bearing surface of their own bullets.
Does that make sense?
Good luck everyone!

I have 2 Hornady, 2 Lyman. One Hornady book dates back to 1966. It does not have many modern powders. When you compare loads from different books, Some are quite different. Finding the primers that is used in the data is some times hard to find, With todays availability. They are a good starting point for Jacket Lead Core bullets.

When dealing with Barnes Bullets, or any of the new Hornady GMX or Nosler E-Tip I go to the bullet manufactures data. Because of these bullets material, length and bearing surface, These bullets do not work well with lead core jacket bullets data and cause high pressure.

I just keep in mind all the manuals are guides created by the manufacturers for us. Every time we create a new load its an experiment almost the same as the one they had. Your rifles chamber is different the barrel is different your batch of powder different and so on.

There are to many variables for the manufacturer to cover so you end up with a one size works in all that says start from minimum and work up carefully. The manufacturers set the parameters of their experiment (type of firearm, batch of powder, primer etc) so they end up with different results than you will.

Their maximum loads will be different than yours. Use them as a guide and be alert and able to recognize pressure signs accordingly.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.