Real World VS Loading manuals

demented

What brass and primers are you using in this load?

It will make a MAJOR difference.....

Weigh an empty fired case then fill with water to the top of the neck and weigh this case again please.

In the older Dupont data that Remington bullet gave a lower pressure than other 150 grain bullets.
But you don't have the same lot of components as they did so don't go that high.

If you can fire a case ten times with that load the pressure will be high but safe to use.

Watch out for temperature changes.

The Lyman reloading manual is excellent and recomended-one of many good ones on the market .

Call Sierra bullets hot line for great information also .

H-870 works very well with the 160-175 Nosler partition at full loads.

Glenn

Once fired Winchester brass, CCI 250 primers. Fitch, I found your load data to be pretty close. Going up 1/2 grain each for three shots I stopped at 68 grains, velocity in the 3040 range, still zero pressure signs. Since temps while shooting were in the 93 degree range and typical hunting temps around here will vary between 60 down perhaps 25 for a low, blowing myself up should not be an issue. Hopefully.

Once fired Winchester brass, CCI 250 primers. Fitch, I found your load data to be pretty close. Going up 1/2 grain each for three shots I stopped at 68 grains, velocity in the 3040 range, still zero pressure signs. Since temps while shooting were in the 93 degree range and typical hunting temps around here will vary between 60 down perhaps 25 for a low, blowing myself up should not be an issue. Hopefully.

Well done. Now you can look for the load where it groups well.

Fitch

What gets me is the pressure some manuals load to. The 270, 280, 30-06, etc cases should take care of the same pressures. I know, I know, I've been told it's in deference to some weaker guns made for these cartridges. But I have a modern, strong gun. Some are held to 53,000psi and some to 60,000psi. Where is the data for my modern gun?
I run up against the max load for a older gun, then I'm on my own after that.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.