Re-barrel to 7mm rem mag

kiwi3006

For the last 15 years I have used a Rem 700 in 30/06 as my goto rifle, but in the last few years I have wanted a rifle with better ballistic capability. I live in the South Island of NZ which has amazing alpine and open tops hunting for tahr, chamois and red deer.

My new rifle was to be a carry rifle (steep hills) and would also be used a bush stalking rifle. So earlier this year I sent away my action to be;
blueprinted,
bolt face opened to take a magnum round
sako extractor fitted
tubb recoil lug fitted
Trueflite ultramatch 26" barrel in No4 contour (although more like a Llja No5)
chambered in 7mm rem mag.

The new action and barrel compared to the old barrel
NewBarrel.jpg

I ended up bedding the action in the original factory stock. I intend to replace this when funds permit. The scope is a Leupold VXIII 4.5 - 14 x 40 LR in Burris Signature rings.
Rifle.jpg

Last weekend I worked up the first few loads, nothing outstanding, but with a bit of tweeking and more time behind the but I am sure I can get to shoot consistent 0.5 moa.
I am lucky the 162 amax and 160 accubond shot very close, the accubond is about 1" high compared to the amax. The groups were shot using a bipod on the ground with a rolled up jacket under the but.
162AMaxgroup2.jpg

160Accubondgroup2.jpg

I am off hunting in two weeks, weather permitting, will let you all know how it goes.

Stu. (probably need to change my sign in tag now.)

Dean Maisey

I'm thinking I might have to upgrade to a #5 lilja... that looks about the contour barrel I want, I was going to get a #3 initially

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.