Rem 700 SPS 7mm Rem Mag Re-chamber to 7mm RUM

I just found out today that the rem 700 sps #84155 is NOT a 7RUM - it is the standard rem magnum (same as my savage). Rem does not make the "long range" (heavy barrel) series in 7RUM, only 300RUM. So I will NOT be getting 1 when they do become available. I would need to drop big bucks on a sendero SF2 to get 7RUM. So instead, I have decided to re-barrel my savage to 7RUM.

The gunshack is currently offering a group buy of 26" heavy contour SS 7mm ER SHAW barrels in your choice of chamberings for the savage rifle. And the price is only $158! I just ordered (pre-ordered) mine, with the RUM chamber of course. Production begins in april, so there are only about 10 more days before this special group pricing offer is over, and the price will go back up to the regular $240.

I'd suggest that anyone owning a savage with the necessary boltface & action length take advantage of it, and/or get the word out to others that do, before it is too late. In my opinion, this is an insanely great deal!

I got a Remington 700 SPS in 7mm rem mag and wanted to re-chamber to a 7mm RUM. What all would need to be done to do that?

You seriously might want to consider the 7 mm STW. The reasons are that your present rifle will easily rechamber to the STW. Also, the ballistics are close in the real world, and 7 Rums are finicky. Sometimes, when you find a load that shoots consistently, you end up with a load the STW will shoot much more easily, and with a lotl less powder. Last but not least, the brass is hard to find, and brass life is very short, so is barrel life. Just a few thoughts! Take care and enjoy the ride. Visit " The Brotherhood of the 7 STW" in Rifles, bullets, Barrels, and Ballistics.

AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL! lightbulb gun) 7STW.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.