Re-barrel to 7mm rem mag

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by kiwi3006, Sep 3, 2008.

1. kiwi3006

kiwi3006 Well-Known Member

For the last 15 years I have used a Rem 700 in 30/06 as my goto rifle, but in the last few years I have wanted a rifle with better ballistic capability. I live in the South Island of NZ which has amazing alpine and open tops hunting for tahr, chamois and red deer.

My new rifle was to be a carry rifle (steep hills) and would also be used a bush stalking rifle. So earlier this year I sent away my action to be;
    blueprinted,
    bolt face opened to take a magnum round
    sako extractor fitted
    tubb recoil lug fitted
    Trueflite ultramatch 26" barrel in No4 contour (although more like a Llja No5)
    chambered in 7mm rem mag.

The new action and barrel compared to the old barrel
    [​IMG]

I ended up bedding the action in the original factory stock. I intend to replace this when funds permit. The scope is a Leupold VXIII 4.5 - 14 x 40 LR in Burris Signature rings.
    [​IMG]

Last weekend I worked up the first few loads, nothing outstanding, but with a bit of tweeking and more time behind the but I am sure I can get to shoot consistent 0.5 moa.
    I am lucky the 162 amax and 160 accubond shot very close, the accubond is about 1" high compared to the amax. The groups were shot using a bipod on the ground with a rolled up jacket under the but.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I am off hunting in two weeks, weather permitting, will let you all know how it goes.

Stu. (probably need to change my sign in tag now.)

2. petenz

petenz Well-Known Member

nice, who did you get to do the work?

3. kiwi3006

kiwi3006 Well-Known Member

Gabe Zigliani at High Country Sport. Who are you getting o do your 280 AI?

Stu.

4. petenz

petenz Well-Known Member

Dean Maisey

I'm thinking I might have to upgrade to a #5 lilja... that looks about the contour barrel I want, I was going to get a #3 initially