Barrel life of 7mm RUM in SPS Rem?

Topshot

I am looking to buy a Remington SPS in 7mm RUM to be latter used as a donor rifle for a new project.

The plan is I would shoot this barrel out to get familiar with the cartridge and for practice.

How many shots out of the standard Chromolly barrel do you think I would get before it would be stuffed?

I am looking to buy a Remington SPS in 7mm RUM to be latter used as a donor rifle for a new project.

The plan is I would shoot this barrel out to get familiar with the cartridge and for practice.

How many shots out of the standard Chromolly barrel do you think I would get before it would be stuffed?

If you clean often (Between shots) to minimize carbon fouling you should get 1500 to 2000
rounds through it with out any noticeable loss of accuracy.

If you just clean after each range session it will drop to around 1200 rounds + or - .

As in all things this will vary from gun to gun based on many variables.

J E CUSTOM

J.E.
Thanks ---
I have to admit, that is a lot more shots than I thought I would get out of a standard barrel in 7mm RUM.

Is a muzzle brake needed on a 7mm RUM? What sort of recoil are we looking at here compared to say a .300WM or .338WM?

Would the thin barrel have enough meat on it at the end to fit a muzzle brake successfully?

J.E.
Thanks ---
I have to admit, that is a lot more shots than I thought I would get out of a standard barrel in 7mm RUM.

Is a muzzle brake needed on a 7mm RUM? What sort of recoil are we looking at here compared to say a .300WM or .338WM?

Would the thin barrel have enough meat on it at the end to fit a muzzle brake successfully?

Recoil will be brisk but not harmful because of the weight. The lighter bullets will help reduce
some of the recoil.

A break can be installed that will match the barrel contour .

Midway sells the Holland break and they have the sizes that will match your barrel dia. and the
appropriate threads.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.