7mm Rem Mag Barrel Life

dsbw

In my part of the world barrel life is quite an issue due to legislation. Have just fitted a new Border (Scottish) barrel, shot count now about 250. I'm shooting mild loads, Sierra MK 175gr @ 2880 fps (28" barrel), absolutely no target shooting, just hunting, not more than three shots in quick succession, if at all.

We use a locally developed Powder, the same as your 4831SC, my load is 61,5 gr.

Can anyone give me a fairly accurate estimation of barrel life, from own experience etc.? I'm cleaning with JB & Kroil, occasional Robla Solo, only patches, no brushes, about every 40 shots.

Different barrels firing differnt loads will vary in life. I burned out the throat of my 7mmRM, Ruger M77, 1988 vintage, chrome molly, after about a 1000 rounds. I shot a mixture of factory rounds and my own handloads. The handloads were on the *warm* side, but no bolt stiffness.

A pure guess on my part based on what you've said, you're probably good for 1500-2000 rounds...who knows???

If you don't mind me asking what are your *legislative issues*?

I shot out a barrel in 7RM. It was a stainless factory barrel made in the sixties (one of the first Rem 700's built). I had more than 4000 rounds through it, but absolutely no rapid fire. I also had to keep seating the bullets out farther and farther. I used entirely flat base bullets (if that makes a difference). Accuracy was alway under 1MOA, until one day it went to about 5 MOA and nothing I could do with reloads would fix it.

It's only one data point, don't know how relevant it is to you. It might be the only 7RM that ever existed that got that much barrel life. I never used a brush on it (just solvent and patches).

AJ

In my Hart barreled 7 STW I shot about 1,000 rnds before there was a noticeable drop in accuracy. The barrel was never shot hot and was cleaned regularly. However, I only shot heavy loads.

With the moderate power level ammo you mentioned and reasonable gun care you should get quite a bit more barrel life than I did.

My 7mm Savage has well over 1500 rounds through it. I run it to about factory speeds, that is where the accuracy is. I have put strings through it that made the barrel untouchable at times. It was a true 1/4" 100yard factory rifle and now it will do 1/2" at best. When it gets to where it won't get under moa then I'll probably send it off to Kirby to set it back and the give it some more h*ll. The way you baby it you should get a lifetime of hunting out of it.

Tx guys for all the advise so far, very informative indeed. I'm looking at minimum 2000 shots (accurate shots), hence my conservative approach.

Our legislation requires you to apply for a new license to replace a barrel (barrels are licensed, not actions like in the US), and you are limited to 4 licenses in total, therefore barrel life becomes a huge event!!

Tx guys for all the advise so far, very informative indeed. I'm looking at minimum 2000 shots (accurate shots), hence my conservative approach.

Our legislation requires you to apply for a new license to replace a barrel (barrels are licensed, not actions like in the US), and you are limited to 4 licenses in total, therefore barrel life becomes a huge event!!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aren't there some barrels -lothar barrel- that are made out of tougher steel ?

Wouldn't they last longer ? There might be added expense to threading/chambering/crowning them but a guy in your predicament wouldn't mind..
You might ask this in the gunsmithing section and get some good info..

Good luck -come on over to america.....-Mike

Yep, Africa ain't that easy, but still a great place to live (especially Namibia). Are you guys not worried that gun laws will change when Obama take over?

People are under the impression that a president can do alot more than they really can ,we have a constitution that we all live under -and it states the right to bear arms.
WE are heavily armed in this country and there ain't nobody taking our guns -the only way they will take mine will involve a full blown war.

They can make laws about certain types of firearms [pistols/assault rifles] and most people like myself don't give much of a rats *** about that ,but it would take some really crazy and i mean crazy person to declare "we are taking away all the firearms in the United States".He would be living on borrowed time until someone shot him and his chronies.

Someday there will be someone that crazy -and i hope i can help shoot the traitors.

A traitor is;-one who violates his allegiance and betrays his country- "i.e. the constitution they are sworn to uphold".

So no -no wories at all w/ obama - "He WILL be the next president" you can mark these words -b/c there are alot of stupid people in this country.................

"They can make laws about certain types of firearms [pistols/assault rifles] and most people like myself don't give much of a rats *** about that"

I'm sorry, but that is one of the scariest comments I have read in ages.

Do you think the liberals are stupid enough to try to take them all at once?? No, they will slowly, incrementally take away our rights. Your hunting rifles can be characterized as a "sniper rifle" by the people who want to demonize every type of weapon ("assault rifles", "saturday night specials", etc.) until they are the only holders of power. And small arms are definitely the ultimate expression of the power being held by the people.

Please don't make it easier for them.

"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately" - Ben Franklin

What i meant was -if there is a waiting period for a handgun -no fully automatic 100rd. clip assault rifles etc.etc. .

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts