RCBS Matchmaster Powder Dispenser

I have a very old rcbs charge master that i recently replaced with an AutoTrickler. I should have done it years ago!! IMO when it comes to a powder dispenser you have to way the value of your time vs your money. Technically the AutoTrickler is more accurate and can throw a charge to within a couple hundredths but my charge master that was probably only within 1-1/2 tenths could still make ammo that shot 1 hole groups so I'm not so sure the added accuracy of charge weight matters, and this was in my 6br running 31.3 grains varget. In a magnum the effects will be even less, but what the AutoTrickler does is saves me at minimum 30 minutes per 50 rounds loaded. The charge master could probably throw 3 out of five that were at weight. AutoTrickler is at least 9 out of ten are dead on, and it's about 8-10 seconds per throw, vs charge master at roughly 30 seconds per. (Match master claims 20 seconds I think) None of this answers your question about the match master but if you a patient person the charge master will do everything you need , if you feel an upgrade is worth the cost over that then the $200 or so extra for the AutoTrickler just makes since.

I meant, how precise does the dispenser need to be? Is +0.1 grain acceptable for each powder charge? If so, then the increased resolution of the MatchMaster and other units even more precise is wasted. My ChargeMaster Supreme never under-dispenses, and only goes over by .1 grain once every 25 or so charges, using short extruded powder, and basically never with spherical.

If the dispensing speed is really important, then a MatchMaster or AutoTrickler would be more appropriate. I occasionally need to wait a few seconds for the ChargeMaster Supreme to finish, after I've operated the RL550.

I have no doubt that the AutoTrickler is a superior instrument to anything offered (or likely to be offered in the future), so if pride of ownership and material quality are important, I'd choose the AutoTrickler. RCBS dispensers work well, but they don't ooze quality.

Last edited:
at CE, currently its 1070 + 170 shipping to us. and its OOS
UM is 1185 and 16 for shipping and oos but can be backordered
Sorry, free shipping is just for Canada and lower 48 in US. There's a notable increase in cost if you don't fall into those categories.

I don't know how often they replenish stock, but they had them in stock for pretty much all of November. So I wouldn't think they'd be out of stock for too long.

Getting to the exact load number with my Rcbs Lite is fine....it's usually only a second or two from my pressing the bullet into my oal....
If I'm making hunting loads I run the Lite to .1 lower than the actual number I want and then trickle up...and usually that to the kernel.....
only an occasional over load....usually because I'm working on other end of the bench....
Glw the new dispenser

Oh yeah....check the warranty

Last edited:
Don't know if this will help but when I first got my dispenser a mentor advised me to get a straw from Burger King, gently slide it up into the dispenser tube and cut off the the excess. I did that a haven't had any issues with over/under dispensing since. Try that before spending your hard earned cash.
I'll have to try that. I've been running a McDonald's straw 😁. Recently purchased a Trx 925 scale (I think) from Creedmoor Sports to double check my old charge master. New scale reads to .01. I was pleasantly surprised how close the charge master is. I agree on paying up for the auto trickler. No experience with them just what I see on the internet. Looks good though

I have been looking at one of these and want to know the opinions of the guys who own them or from guys who have used them. I have an old RCBS Powder dispenser but it is starting to deteriorate with its consistency. I use a second scale to validate each throw but am spending to much time trying to get the loads consistent without a bunch of additional work. Too high or too low on the drops. I hear the new one is fast but it is also a lot of money so I thought I would ask the question here before making the plunge. Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom you can share.
We have had Beam Scales then the RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 (2) of them and they worked very good. Also used a GemPro 250 and Dandy Trickler for really precise loads. Then got (2) V-4s with FX120i scales, then recently purchased a Super Trickler Gen II with a FZ 120i.

One thing I liked about the Chargemaster 1500 was the working space (Pan) to weigh Cases and Bullets. The Super Trickler has a very small space for the powder cup.
The Chargemaster 1500 was the older RCBS Electronic Scale. The newer version is the "MatchMaster" and around $900. We have several friends that have/had the RCBS MatchMaster and like them for accuracy and speed. Some also switched over to the V-3 and V4.
For some more money the V-4 and FX120i would be the way to go.

All depends on how much reloading you do and looking for accuracy and speed (and cost $$$). All these newer electronic Powder Dispensers and Scales work great for Hunting and Competition shooting.
There is always going to be a newer shinier toy on the market example Annealers, Chronographs, Trimmers, Primer seaters, ect.

The Super Trickler Gen II with the new FZ120i is expensive. I think around $1,700 with shipping and import Tax. Comes from Danmark. Shipping was fast maybe a little over 2 months. Rex gave excellent service.
I think that we are done with purchasing reloading tools unless something breaks. No more toys except rifle builds. I am hoping to get at least 7-10 more years for shooting in.
Good luck on your next Dispenser and Scale!

I bought the matchmaster since the auto trickler was out of stock when I was wanting it. It does alright but not what i was expecting. It's been awhile since i used it but think it throwing to much powder and was having to scoop some out on most throws. So I bought a auto trickler v4 and like it a lot more what little i have got to use it.