RCBS Powder Dispenser/Scale

WI_Hunter, if you are interested I have a Chargemaster 1500 combo I'll be willing to part with. I have two of them, I bought the other one from a friend who needed money, long story. But anyways, I thought I would use it as a backup, but it's so reliable I don't think I need a backup anymore.

I'll take $275.00, pm me if interested.

This is a good thread and perhaps I can add a little. I have a new C/M combo.
There are some things I like and some I don't--could be I am doing something wrong and need some help.
I load for my 270 win. and use IMR and H 4831 powder. I found that it was difficult to use in my uniflow powder dropper. It would cut the powder and I had to trickle it into the pan on the beam scale in order to get the exact load I wanted. ( not close but right on ).
I was getting over charges from the CM on the last trickle mode-- not being able to drop one piece of powder at a time. One piece of h4831 will move my beam scale and two kernels will almost go over a 1/10 of a grain. After putting the straw in the end of the tube it helped a-lot.
My big problem is this--I turn the machine on --warm it up--Cal. and zero the pan. Now There are time that 20 or 30 loads will be dead on with the beam scale.
Wow great--but other times all things equal the CM will be 1/10 over on every charge--so much so I have to punch in the charge at one tenth less and that gets it right on again. I have also had it drop two tenths over.
My load is 51.5 grains of powder not 51.7 or 51.3.
What I don't understand is why is it so darn accurate at times and then it is off by a consistent 1/10 (heavy--never light ) Sometimes it will be dead nuts on for 20 charges and then start the one tenth over thing again. I could use some help with this question.
When it is working I find it to be a blessing. It drops a charge for me in about 25 Sec. I take the powder and put it into the pan for the beam scale place it on the beam and confirm the charge. then it goes into the case. I can do that in less time that it takes for the next charge to be ready on the CM--so I don't feel I am wasting time. I truly like the unit and it has made reloading more fun.
I can load 60 rounds an hour of 270 ammo with no problem.
It's just that over charge thing that bugs me and I wont dump a charge without confirming it--as in I don't fully trust it.

GW.

Gray Wolf,

On the over charges, do they register as exact on the digital prior to weighing them on the balance beam? If so, I'd weigh some item (a bullet etc.) at the beginning and then again later, and see if the digital scale is drifting. If it weighs the item the same at the start and later, I'd look at the beam scale and make sure the pivot is clean etc.

AJ

Thank you for the reply--- I set the two scales up the same way each time.
I zero the beam scale and check it with some sample check weights i have and trust. Then i punch in 51.5 grains --enter and dispense on the CM. the CM does it's thing--I let it settle and it reads 51.5--I can take the pan off for a moment and then put it back and it still tells me 51.5--I put it on the beam scale and it is over. When it is correct it tells me 51.5 and the beam reads 51.5 .
If I run the CM and it gives me a charge of 51.5 and the beam reads 51.5
all is good so far. BUT if I add 2 pieces of powder while on the beam scale it will show 51.6 I then put the powder back on the CM and it still reads 51.5
if I add a little powder so the CM reads 51.6 then the beam shows it to be
51.7+ seems to be fouled up by a tenth some place. But I will say again there are times when it is dead on for 20 or so charges.

GW.

what does the CM say about the check weights? I've noticed that beam scales aren't as easy to read consistently as it would first appear. Parallax can happen. Also, even if both scales are +/- 1/10gr, then they will vary at times by 2/10ths, that's just the way things work.

AJ

Here's my take on the Chargemaster. It is a highly accurate powder THROWER. IOW, if you want to land exactly on the number everytime, then set the dispenser to throw a little light and nudge a few grains off the end of the tube.

Perhaps some pics, turn it on and calibrate with the supplied weights
DSCN0144.jpg

Rezero with the pan
DSCN0145.jpg

In this case I want to load 60 gr RL22 so I set the dispenser on 59.7 gr
DSCN0146.jpg

and the dispenser will run and then beep when done. WAIT 5 SECONDS, and it will give the actual weight in the pan, in this case 59.9 gr
DSCN0148.jpg

nudge a couple of grains off the end until you get the exact weight
DSCN0150.jpg

Love my Chargemaster and would immediately buy another if it were stolen or irreparably damaged.

Woods, how in the heck do you post pictures, I can't find the button that says "Managa Attachments", it's frustrating.

-X3M

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.