Range Report-RL17 in .308 Winny!

The only way to really know what pressures you're getting is to use prssure measuring equipement. There are too many variables when it comes to powder and preimers combos and temp, chamber, throat, etc. If you put the exact same load in two different rifles, you are likely to get two different pressures. If you put the same load in the same rifle with diferent bullets (of same weight) and/or different primers you are likely to get different pressures. I maxed out 2 grains lower and 20 fps slower, shooting 168 TTSX's with RL17 than with 180 E-Tips to my big surprise. Theoretically, the TTSX's with the same weight bullet should not have pressured as quick as the E-Tips because of their grooved bearing surface and softer pure copper construction. Who woulda thunk it? And another very experienced member here got 150 fps more velocity with RL17 and 168 TTSX's and same length barrel than I did, and my load was better than average velocity. Quickload is a guide, just like manuals are guides. I go by pressure signs and the two main signs I go by are bolt operation and primer pocket expansion. If my bolt works fine and there are no undue signs of stress with my rilfe and my brass isn't being damaged or quickly worn out, I figure I'm good to go. That's just me and my two pennies.

Now back to skim bedding my Senderos :)

The only way to really know what pressures you're getting is to use prssure measuring equipement. There are too many variables when it comes to powder and preimers combos and temp, chamber, throat, etc. If you put the exact same load in two different rifles, you are likely to get two different pressures. If you put the same load in the same rifle with diferent bullets (of same weight) and/or different primers you are likely to get different pressures. I maxed out 2 grains lower and 20 fps slower, shooting 168 TTSX's with RL17 than with 180 E-Tips to my big surprise. Theoretically, the TTSX's with the same weight bullet should not have pressured as quick as the E-Tips because of their grooved bearing surface and softer pure copper construction. Who woulda thunk it? And another very experienced member here got 150 fps more velocity with RL17 and 168 TTSX's and same length barrel than I did, and my load was better than average velocity. Quickload is a guide, just like manuals are guides. I go by pressure signs and the two main signs I go by are bolt operation and primer pocket expansion. If my bolt works fine and there are no undue signs of stress with my rilfe and my brass isn't being damaged or quickly worn out, I figure I'm good to go. That's just me and my two pennies.

Now back to skim bedding my Senderos :)

I was waiting for you to chime in. So what do you think of our results thus far? I find it exciting and interesting all at the same time.:cool:

Tank

I run a 700P in 308 pushing 175 VLDs over 43 gr of Varget. I just had a 15 inch 308 barrel made for my encore pistol and these RL 17 loads sound like just the ticket. I've been considering an 18 inch 308 barrel for my encore. How far did you guys shoot with the 18 inch barrels? This is a good topic.

I was waiting for you to chime in. So what do you think of our results thus far? I find it exciting and interesting all at the same time.:cool:

Tank

I think those are great results and not surprising based on my experiences with RL17. I have read other good reports in the 308 case and variants and I figured it would be a good powder in those chamberings. What really surprised me is the great results I got in my 25-06 becuase RL17 was supposed to be desinged for the shorter fatter cases. RL-17 turns a 308 into a 30-06 and a 30-06 into a 300 WSM and a 300 WSM into a 300 Dakota. I cant wait till they come out with the slower large magnun version. I'll be real tickled if it will push a 180 E-Tip 3500 fps out of a 300 RUM. If I get 3600 fps with the E-Tip, I'll have died and gone to heaven. Theoretically, I could be pushing a 177 GS @ 3700-3800 with a BC in the .6 range. All I can say is WOW! And I have my eye on that ZA 175 5.8 bullet. It will have an even better BC, but I'll need a new barrel for it. Yup, some exciting stuff going on in the LR world I would say. Let's just hope these powders are fairly stable. We get big temp swings here.:cool:

Last edited:
I run a 700P in 308 pushing 175 VLDs over 43 gr of Varget. I just had a 15 inch 308 barrel made for my encore pistol and these RL 17 loads sound like just the ticket. I've been considering an 18 inch 308 barrel for my encore. How far did you guys shoot with the 18 inch barrels? This is a good topic.

I currently have dope to 700 yards with mine. It is hold 1MOA at that distance. The winds were changing from 10-15 with 20 gusts and a constant 10 head wind in our face. Once we figured my dope, it was point and ping. That was with a 168 A-max.

Tank

Did anybody try RL 17 with a 165 grain Accubond in the 308. I'm trying to come up with a load for my 15 inch pistol. I need something that will handle a Moose.

Did anybody try RL 17 with a 165 grain Accubond in the 308. I'm trying to come up with a load for my 15 inch pistol. I need something that will handle a Moose.

I'm currently getting around 2550fps with 47.5grn RL17 with 168 A-max's in an 18" barrel and 173grn BTFMJ's. I would assume you will get right 2350 to 2450 with a 15" barrel. You'll have to try it and see what happens. Should be a good load. Work up to it.

Tank

Last edited:
Hi guys! I haven't been on much for a while but have been playing with my new 300 Sherman and the RL-17 chat caught my eye. I've been getting 3050' out of my 190 SXR's and have shot a a few groups at 100 yds. that measured under .2". The best to date measured .115" I haven't tried any long range stuff as yet because I am waiting for my new ballistic tips to come in but am anxious to do so. I'm not sure how stable the powder is yet but velocity and accuracy are excellent. I am using 60 to 61 grs. depending on the air temp.....Rich

Hi guys! I haven't been on much for a while but have been playing with my new 300 Sherman and the RL-17 chat caught my eye. I've been getting 3050' out of my 190 SXR's and have shot a a few groups at 100 yds. that measured under .2". The best to date measured .115" I haven't tried any long range stuff as yet because I am waiting for my new ballistic tips to come in but am anxious to do so. I'm not sure how stable the powder is yet but velocity and accuracy are excellent. I am using 60 to 61 grs. depending on the air temp.....Rich

I have found it to be somewhat unstable to severe temp swings. I am talking 20+ in temp rise or drop. Though it seems to be stable between 50 to 70. Anything cooler or hotter it will change. Above 70 you will see an increase in pressures, and below 50 your velocity will drop off. You will need to load heavier if you can to maintain pressure.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.