Range Finder Advice

bocajnala

Alright folks looking for some input. I shoot a factory remington 700 in .30-06. I have a Nikon BDC reticle on it and have used this setup for the last several years successfully to 400 yards (387 yards on a doe) and lots of targets at 400, some targets at 500. But I have not been comfortable taking it further than 400 on game. Over the next year or two I'd look to stretch this rifle to 600, maybe 800 eventually if 600 goes well. I do reload, but I'm hesitant to upgrade the rifle any as it was given to me by my grandpa. My plan currently is to stretch it to 6 or 800 if possible and in a few years I'll add a true LR rig to the safe. That brings me to the Range Finder question.

First a couple of questions. Do people typically attempt to range the actual deer? Or do you range objects around the animal? I hunt a very long field. It's typically either corn or soybeans. So there aren't really rocks or trees to attempt to range off of.

I want a range finder that I can use reliably out to these ranges (800 yards)

I was given a Bushnell "The Truth" 4x20 LRF for Christmas. It is listed as 7-850 yards. But I have my doubts on how well it will perform in the field. Will I be able to reliable range deer to 600 or 800?

I have the option of returning this and adding some money to upgrade before I open this one. Are there any decent Range finders to be found that I could add $150 or so to this one and have a "good" mid level range finder? I've got a young family and am finishing up school so price is definitely a consideration. But the bushnell was worth 199 and I can add $150 to it right now, or save a couple more months and add a little more.

Any thoughts, model suggestions etc are appreciated.
-Jake

Boca,

Most hunters range the animal itself, if at all possible, because at long range it is difficult to tell how far past or in front of the tree the animal actually is. In your situation you will definitely be ranging the animal.

Rangefinders typically range consistently on game to about 1/2 the rated distance of the Rangefinder. The Bushnell you have will probably work well to about 400 yards. Another issue with rangefinders is called beam divergence which has to do with the width of the laser beam, the smaller the better. Smaller beam divergence will allow you to successfully range game at greater distances when they are standing in open flat areas.

Lucky for you there is a new innovative rangefinder on the market that is getting very good reviews and is reasonably priced. It is challenging the performance of some other expensive rangefinders that have dominated the market for a while.

Read the thread link below. Lots of good info on the Sig Sauer kilo 2000. Some very knowledgeable LRH forum members have done some comparisons on the thread.

The rangefinder might be slightly above your budget, but is a real deal at the price it sells for and may will be the only rangefinder you ever need.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/sig-sauer-kilo-2000-rangefinder-161599/

Barrelnut,

Thank you for your reply. I did read that thread earlier today and will do some more research on that one. It sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. I am in NO HURRY, so I can save up some for a model that will work for what I need. That sig sounds like a good option. At the moment, I think I will return this one and get money back, or store credit if thats all they will do. and continue to save. I do some crop damage hunts in late February typically and hopefully will be able to make a purchase in time to make use of it then.
-Jake

As with your rifle, the more you practice with the laser the better off you'll be at the critical moment. Living in farm country, I play with my rangefinder on the neighbors' cattle whenever I get the chance. Cattle hide ought to give similar reflectivity to deer or elk, and the younger stock give about the right body size. (Good idea to ask permission if you are going to do this in plain view of the owner... just in case someone is paranoid.) Again, like shooting the rifle, steady shooting positions are a must. Practice supported positions for the laser itself, whether using shooting sticks, your pack, or if in a shooting position with the rifle bracing the laser on top of the scope. You'll want to experiment to find where the edges of your beam are in relation to the reticle as well.

I used this range finder in wyoming this year. Works fine on game up to 250 yes after that it takes forever to do up to a max at 450. This cost us a nice goat. My advice return it and put the money to something else. This is a bow hunting/300 dyes and in RF

I have to suggest the sig Kilo 2000. Can be had for $500, less if you shop around. I got mine on sale for $440. I can range the body of deer well over 1000 yds, I have ranged cows at 1800 or so. Reflective objects (trees, rock outcroppings, buildings) way over 2,000 yards. And, its the same size (maybe smaller) than your bushnell. I don't think you can get a better rangefinder for the money. It is definitely worth a look.

I have been researching the crap out of this subject and have settled on the new Nikon 7i. It's supposed to range 1300 yards. Picked it up at cabelas for $320 cad. The reviews that I have read online and on YouTube have nothing but good to say about it. Apparently deer can be ranged out past 1000 yards. If it can do that it will do what I need it to do. I hope the reviews are honest because it's in the mail. I was favoring the rx1000 but at $600 in Canada it was out of my price range right now. This will have to do for now. Longest I could get with me brothers rx1000 was 830 on a horse.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.