Advice on Decent Range Finder

martyj

Looking to get a good range finder for deer hunting on the prairie and bean field hunting. One that will range a deer over a 1000 yards if that is possible.
I see some used Swarovski for sale now and then and not sure if they will do what I want them too.
I have a Leupold and am very disappointed in the performance of it.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

For ranging deer in flat terrain you want a unit with a small beam divergence. The large beams will pick up other obstacles like corn stalks , sage etc. Think of the beam in a lase RF like a flash light beam growing in size with distance. Now lay that flashlight on the table and you will get the picture. So this narrows your search to the Leica CRF 1600 or the 1600B. To be precise with this small beam at 1000 you will need to steady the unit like you would a rifle for the shot. I stack a couple sand bags and rest mine on top of them. Make sure your fingers or none of the bag is obstructing the laser lens. Average cost new is $750 and used $550~$650

Option 2 is the Vectronix Terripin also know as the PLRF 05. This will range the deer at 1000 with ease and is top shelf equipment. The cost is around $2000

The swaro and its large beam cost me a 200" buck. That was when I started a lot of testing of different laser RF's and have owned any tested a good number of them including all the popular ones.

There is a ton of info on here about laser Rf's. Type the name of the unit you wish in the search box in the upper right of any page for more info. Or just search "best Rangefinder"

Yes, the leupolds are less expensive for a reason.

Good Luck,
Jeff

Well I would have to say buy a Leica. They are a little pricey, however, probably the best for the money! I bought a used 1600 model and couldn't be happier. Not that I am shooting this far, but I have successfully ranged a rock at over 1900 yards. I didn't get the same reading but it was close. Also depends on your budget and what is your limit! Save a little more if you have too and buy a good one.

Also if you do a search in the top right hand corner of the web page you will get hours of reading on any subject or review you may be looking for!

terrapin plrf -05 will range a medium size calf at 924 yards, i know because i ranged a tan in color mediuum size calf with mine the other day. I REALLY enjoy mine . 2000-3000 yards freehand to treelines. The other day sitting in toyota truck i ranged a 2 story building at 4335 yards, and just like with the calf i repeated it several times and got the same range.

I'd also suggest a Terrapin but there isn't much magnification if you need it. I'd also highly recommend the bino/LRF options out there like the Steiner, Zeiss, Leica, Swaro, and Bushnell. I've found the bino/LRF combo ideal for hunting as well as general shooting versus the monocular type.

Geb

i have the leica crf1000-r and love it. i think some places r selling the crf1000 model at a reduced price now

I live in Arkansas and hunt flat row crop fields. I have a Leica 1600 and tried it. A had trouble consistently ranging deer past 700 yards. Finally saved and bought a terrapin. One of the greatest shooting investments that I have ever made. I would check out the daily bulletin on accurate shooter. Merry christmas

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.