Ran Out of Windage Adjustment...What's Going On?

Ingwe

Hello Fellas,

I am pulling my hair out over this problem! I will describe what the problem is and hopefully you all can give me some advice on how to proceed with it.

I recently purchased a Zeiss Victory/Diavari 30mm Scope with the ASV turrets.
I also bought top quality Seekins Rings.

I lapped the rings in, mounted the scope (torque wrench) and went off to the range to sight in. Long story short, the scope has plenty of elevation BUT I ran out of windage adjustment...I maxed-out the windage knob all the way to the LEFT but it still wasn't enough!

The rifle is a Win M70 7mmRemMag. It has a 20 MOA Seekins one piece base.
Previously, I had a different scope/rings on the gun and it shot just fine, so I know that the problem is NOT with the rifle or the base.

I then went home and removed the scope. I loosened-up the front ring and turned it around 180 degrees. I then did the same with the rear ring and then remounted the scope.

So my reasoning is that if the rings are out of alignment, then by flipping them 180 degrees like I did, then the scope should run out of adjustment in the opposite direction, which is to the right.....correct?

So anyway, I went back to the range and tried to sight the gun in again and had the exact same issue as before...the scope ran out of left adjustment!

By my thinking, I eliminated an issue with the rifle, the base, and the rings, which leads me to believe that the problem can only be with the scope itself. Does this sound right to you all??

This really has my head spinning, so before I take the scope off AGAIN and send it to Zeiss, I wanted to run it by you all and see if maybe I am missing something.

Does this sound right?? Have you ever seen a problem like this with a scope before?

I would REALLY appreciate your thoughts on this issue.

Thanks!! Frank

Put your lapping bar in rings and tighten. Lay gun on its side and level out receiver and base unit. Check level on lap bar. If its the rings the bar should be running off. If bar is running level with base and receiver then I would GUESS its in the scope.
OR just try a different set of rings

If you still have the other scope and rings you might put them back on the rifle and see if the problem goes away. That way you will have eliminated the possibility that the base has shifted. At that point I'd send the scope in.

Had the same problem with a Leica scope using Tally rings on Remington 700. Called Leica. Turns out scope was designed for European market were tolerances are more precise on their mounting hole alignment. Scope was built with less windage adjustment. The only way to make it work was to use Leupold rings and bases with the windage screws.

Just one of many reasons I used the signature line with inserts from Burris ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/wcRAX5OLtJE?t=353[/ame]

I have the XTR on my full custom and I can get up to 40 MOA of adjustment/correction ... simply awesome and best of all no lapping required. :D

^^^ that. Just turn the inserts sideways to correct for buggered up windage. Though I would go ahead and find out where the source of your extra windage is.

Todd, I did what you said and put the rifle on its side and leveled-out the base.
I didn't use a lapping bar like you suggested but I put another level on the paralex cap and the bubbles are pretty much in the same position...both are well within the black level marks.

With this in mind, what else can it be but the scope?? Does this sound right?

Todd, I did what you said and put the rifle on its side and leveled-out the base.
I didn't use a lapping bar like you suggested but I put another level on the paralex cap and the bubbles are pretty much in the same position...both are well within the black level marks.

With this in mind, what else can it be but the scope?? Does this sound right?
The rings could be off on the inside which wouldn't show doing it that way. I'm not 100% positive it can be measured accurately enough with just a level anyway, I just thought if its waaaay out it may show. I would switch rings and check.

morning, question. did u put the old rings and mounts on the weapon

with new scope? I've had this problem several times. never have solved

the problem. I use the old style redfield rings and bases. solved

the adjustment problem. I have read about shooters bedding

the scope bases. THK.Ulightbulb:)gun)

I just had the same issue with a set of Talley Light weights last night. Funny thing is, I had some Talley mounts on there before but had to swap them for a higher base for the Zeiss HD5. Have an inquiry in to Talley as it doesn't make much sense since I know the scope is good. I'm sure we'll get it figured out.

Also had windage go south on a top of the line Nikon. Tried changing rings and double checking everything. Called Nikon, got a return # and sent it in. Was notified 2 1/2 weeks later it was not repairable. Said I could pick any of their scopes of equal price and sent it that day "overnight" shipped. New scope was perfect and harvested a nice muley last month.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.